orange county, CA

High school student working at a place called Sushibar in my downtown city.

Pittsburgh
Elektronikz wrote:

I'm still in high school.

Same here, planning on going for Electrical Engineering (and maybe business, who knows)

Joliette, QC, Canada

I am doing 2 things at my job
-I repair burnt electrical motor by changing the isolation and copper coils in it, the biggest I did was something like 175HP.
-I make electric control panel boxes.

San Diego

Funny, I was just thinking of starting a similar thread like this one.

Well, I've worked from one crap job to the next since I was 15 (I'll be turning 30 this June). I've done damn near everything; projectionist, electrician, customer service, food service, hell I even worked for a radio station for a while setting up equipment. Currently I'm a "technician" at an Valvoline oil change. Can't say I love my job but at least it's helped me get some cool toys as of late (OP-1 and new MS-20 mini!). 

When it comes to music I noticed I was better at producing back when I had almost no money or gear but tons of time. Now that I have more money and gear with no time, I feel like I have writers block. I've had ideas to try and keep myself at home and generate a form of income but it's hard to really feel like there's any security in a online/home business.

Santa Cruz, California
Another Castle wrote:
Elektronikz wrote:

I'm still in high school.

Same here, planning on going for Electrical Engineering (and maybe business, who knows)

I recommend electrical engineering. The majority of the unemployed college graduates have business degrees, and there's a sore lack of engineers of any kind in America... that, and being an engineer is rad (you get to build stuff for a living).

San Diego
Teh D3th St4r wrote:
Another Castle wrote:

I recommend electrical engineering. The majority of the unemployed college graduates have business degrees, and there's a sore lack of engineers of any kind in America... that, and being an engineer is rad (you get to build stuff for a living).

If I had a choice I'd have done the same and taken Electrical Engineering. I started collage in multimedia, the program I did got terminated about 3/4 of my way through because it wasn't a recognized certification. Life got in the way after that fell through and I've regretted not starting this degree path long ago.

Rhode Island

What, no love for mechanical engineers? I do engineering analysis work for nuclear plants to keep them up and running.

Chicago

In spring 09, I was going to school for youth ministry, but I never got my GI Bill from the national guard. I had to drop out. I would love to contiune that degree, but I can't afford it. I have been working random jobs for the last three years. Gamestop to Heidi's (a deli) to Walmart for a year to Buffalo Wild Wings for a year and a half to Heidi's again. I'm looking for another job now cause I'm moving cross town

Last edited by theghostservant (Mar 29, 2013 5:35 am)

Iowa

Stocker at a grocery store only did a year a college so far

vancouver, canada

i have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and i work as a frontend web developer by day.  i'm fortunate that it was my "dream job" in the sense that
1) i very well could have instead gotten a Generic Programming Job at Nameless Software Company
2) i'm working at a design/marketing studio, which was where i wanted to end up after university.

having said that, the rose-tinted glass have lost their effect, as i quickly realized that even at a "dream job" it's still a kind of burger flipping, just like any other job.  web design used to be a hobby of mine.  now, it's mainly The Thing I Do To Get Money.

that's why i'm wary about the prospect of pursing music professionally.  i think i COULD do it, and i'm passionate about it, but i don't want that passion to get reduced down to churning out product for stakeholders whose vision i don't necessarily share.  that's what happened to my passion for web development.

right now, i think i'm fine with the way things are and i feel i have an acceptable equilibrium.  my job might not be my passion per se, but its the thing that allows me to pursue the things i AM passionate about.  to make this possible, i try to set things up at work so that i will never have to work beyond the required 40-hour work week.

i think adopting the notion that you HAVE to make your passion your job can be too idealistic and can breed disappointment and foolish decisions.  i mean, i'm a musician, that's a thing that i would like to have expressed through my life, but there are other things too: a professional; a productive self-sustaining member of society; even a future husband/father one day.  To me, pursing music is but one of several paths i can take to realize these facets of myself, it all depends on what the risk/reward is at any given moment i think.   but "pursuing something practical" doesn't need to be the dead-end you may think it is.

Puerto Rico

Studying education in English.

...This thread makes me wonder what zzzv does for a living.

currently working on my bs in aerospace engineering.

shanghai

each to their own but i never wanted to mix my music making with the real world -

so my solution was to come to Shanghai so i dont have to have a job that sucks the life out of my soul (accounting).
I teach small kids by day, its tiring but not really mentally tiring - i finish at 4pm - i have the whole evening where im not stressed on deadlines etc, and i make beats in relative peace.
Everyday. everyday i make music for an hour or so and it keeps me sane.
It keeps me sane though cos im not making it under any pressure, i thought about studying music tech to be a sound engineer or something, but then i realised im not into the nuts and bolts of making music. i just wanna make music if that makes sense, but i dont want to RELY on my making music for commercial shit - cos then i'm burnt out making that crap and cant find enthusiasm for my own stuff.

I dont think that answers your question at all - but just thought id share my personnal reasons on the matter. I have a bunch of friends that do commercial work - its cool i guess, but they're either living the good life or stressed as fuck about where the next job is coming from.
Ultimately id rather a secure job with regualr income so that my music making is a chilled out affair.

caregiver at senior assisted living center

SLC, UT

This is way more therapeutic than a love thread.

I do nothing.

Request for saskrotch and Nitro2k01.

A gray world of dread

Small, specialized IT business with some high profile customers.
Which means I do like five jobs rolled in one. Analyst, designer, coder, integration, support, etc. On the upside it's never boring, but it can be really stressful at times.

When I had to make the choice where to go with my life, I checked my list of personal interests, ordered them by preference and chose the second (coding) as a job to keep the first (music) as a hobby. The fact I hardly code for recreation anymore seems to imply that was the right choice.