Douglas, Wyoming

So I kinda wanted to see how chiptune would sound with shoegaze, but not sure how to go about getting the sound and was looking for some tips mostly on how to get a creamy reverby sound out of a gameboy, guitar tips also needed. I think using a sine bass would sound clean but how can I make the pulse channel sound clear and sharp but not so harsh? Any suggestions?

Brunswick, GA USA

Identical notes with slow attack, slight variation and delay, or lots of outboard delay and reverb with different tone settings. Experimentation is part of the style, as is starting at your effects pedals on the floor, so many aspects cannot be taught.

Gosford, Australia

pulse channel chords will probably be less harsh with a lowpass filter, if you want to go the authentic route you could try a 2-channel unison with slight detuning.

you should definitely check out ovenrake's boys club for ideas and inspiration though imo

Austin, TX

Noisewaves are another pretty great example of this style.

The secret to shoegazey guitar sounds is loads of delay and reverb, but it's hard to get the right balance. As c-h-u-n-t-e-r said, it's all about experimentation; screw around with it enough and you'll get something that sounds nice.

EDIT: Oh boy, referencing names that are set to "someone" changes those names to "someone" afterwards. That's clever.

Last edited by Fatal Labyrinth (Apr 1, 2013 3:27 pm)

Michigan

lots of pulse channel echoes...like copious amounts of it, slow attacks and decays, slow arps.

just experiment! its fun!

Brunswick, GA USA

I thought someone forgot to spell my name with the "h" so the board censored it. wink

hardcore, Australia

Listen to A art and work out what he's doing. http://aart.bandcamp.com/track/grace

Douglas, Wyoming

Thanks for the tips I'll have to try these out tomorrow or tonight

Douglas, Wyoming

Also I'm surprised no one suggested Vacuums yet

shanghai

good thing about shoegaze is there's really no limit as to how much you can push the dirt.  just experiment id say, the whole point of making such a genre id say is that you're pretty free to fuck off the rule book and carve your own style. But totally check out boys club and noisewaves cos those guys did it right !

Youngstown, OH

I actually experimented with this myself recently.

http://chipmusic.org/sleepytimejesse/music/bitgaze

I tried to keep it in Fami but give things time to pan out and give some sections a lot of space to breath, if that makes sense, to compensate.

Florida

^^^ one of my attempts
I personally think it works really really well. The genre's popularity sort of mirrors the lifespan of the NES so they're kind of culturally connected.

Chicago, IL

Nicely done!

Check out this one too (its not by me):
http://kanagawarocks.bandcamp.com

Kind of shoegaze + post rock + ambient noise + chiptunes...

Last edited by BeatScribe (Apr 2, 2013 7:19 pm)

Douglas, Wyoming
Jay Tholen wrote:

^^^ one of my attempts
I personally think it works really really well. The genre's popularity sort of mirrors the lifespan of the NES so they're kind of culturally connected.

Wow this is really cool, especially with the rad vocals

California

All i know is that we need more chip+shoegaze stuff.....seriously.

I'm just beginning my journey into chiptune via lsdj/bgb with every intention of not producing material that actually sounds like chiptune.  These artists are a great inspiration.  Would it be possible to achieve this sound in lsdj exclusively, or does the ambient/shoegaze vibe require external effects?  Most definitely a matter of opinion, but I'm curious about what those opinions might be.  I produce music in the chillwave vein, so I'm looking at how this sound could transfer over to the 8-bit platform, if at all. Especially for genres that are still ambient, but more sample-based.

Last edited by damelday (Apr 29, 2013 5:47 am)