vancouver, canada

hey guys, first off, do yourselves a favour and back up your work!  now that that's out of the way, i thought i'd share a super-simple set up i devised to save my LSDJ work to the cloud:

1) make a folder for my sav's in my Google Drive account.   include a SAV that corresponds to the session that BGB (or other emulator) will typically save to.

2) install Google Drive for PC/Mac  (linuxheads have access to a couple of solutions here).  this will create a Google Drive folder on the local machine with synced copies of my Google Drive files. locate the folder where the synced SAV's are.

3) in BGB.INI, set the SAV location to that folder.  (setting the SAV path this way is preferable to setting it in BGB's Options dialog, as you may risk overwriting the SAV in the cloud with an older local copy once you close BGB).

4) Open BGB.  Every time the emulator is closed, the SAV will get written to the googledrive folder and will sync automatically to the cloud!  Easy peasy.

(i'm sure this setup could be adapted to different platforms / emulators / cloud services / workflows / etc.)

I've found some nice benefits to this setup:

- When you finish your BGB session and close the emulator, the newly-created SAV file gets synced to the cloud automatically in a matter of seconds.  this means that you can hop over to another computer and continue your work.  This is awesome for me because i don't have to worry about keeping things up to date across my home computer, my laptop, and my work computer.

- depending on the cloud service you use, you have automatic version control, which allows you to revert to older versions of your SAVs, as well as gives you a way out if you overwrite your SAV unfavourably.   Google Drive keeps all revisions for 30 days before autodeleting them, but you can select specific revisions to remain indefinitely (at the cost of taking up more space).

- you don't have to do any manual fiddling around with SAV files.  as far as i'm concerned, i just need to worry about moving the current SAV onto my cart, or moving the SAV from my cart to the cloud.   as your work grows you can always organize your savs/lsdsngs in another folder.

- the most important takeaway is that you no longer have any excuse for losing your song data via accidental deletions or absent-minded overwrites.

I'm interested to see what solutions others might have come up with!   I think it would be really cool to have a diff-like tool to visually compare revisions somehow.

EDIT: making steps moar bettar

Last edited by bryface (Apr 3, 2013 6:13 am)

Unsubscribe

Another bonus of using something like gdrive or dropbox for cloud storage is that it makes working on collabs with people super easy! Revision controls too!

washington

swank! i'm definitely going to try this!

vancouver, canada
herr_prof wrote:

Another bonus of using something like gdrive or dropbox for cloud storage is that it makes working on collabs with people super easy! Revision controls too!

good point about the possibilities for collaboration. 

i should mention though, that before collaborators hop all over a song, simultaneous editing of a song isn't possible.  so be careful of revision conflicts!  make sure only one person is working on the SAV at any time, and make sure you're working off the latest revision of the other person's work so that their progress doesn't get clobbered!

rochester, ny

holy crap.

herr_prof wrote:

holy crap again.

this is awesome you guys.

New Albany Indiana

am i the only one who uses floppy disk?

vancouver, canada

Oh, one thing that i found that may or may not be obvious.  if you already have this setup on one computer, and you'd like to set up another computer, it's best to set the SAV directory via editing BGB.INI before opening BGB

if you open BGB and set the SAV path in the Options dialog, you'll automatically overwrite the SAV in the cloud with your BGB's currently-loaded SAV when you close BGB - and BGB might be running an empty or old SAV at that moment.

of course, if that does happen, you can always revert to the desired revision in Google Drive, but nonetheless, a potentially annoying side effect you might want to avoid when you set up new instances of BGB for the cloud.

Last edited by bryface (Apr 3, 2013 6:05 am)

Scotland

fantastic progress. i won't be using it, but thank you for your constant dedication to what you do, Mister Bryface.

rochester, ny

seriously though, will some one collaborate on a song with me?