Tokyo, Japan

I have a bit of a problem getting all my midi stuff to play nice and wonder if you chaps could help me. I have

1 - Yamaha FB01 w/MIDI in/out/thru
1 - Casio CZ 101 w/MIDI in/out
1 - Edirol UA25 MIDI interface w/MIDI in/out
1 - PC running Renoise 2.5

I would like to be able to do two main things

1 - Send MIDI from Renoise to the 2 synth modules which is possible thus:

Interface MIDI out - > FB01 MIDI in - > FB01 MIDI thru - > CZ101 MIDI in

2 - Use the CZ101 as a (very) basic midi controller for the FB01 which is possible like this

CZ101 MIDI out - > FB01 MIDI in - > FB01 MIDI out - > Interface MIDI in

Problem is I can't do both at the same time as the CZ101 doesn't have a MIDI thru.

Basically I want to be able to send midi from renoise to both synths and use the CZ101 to play notes directly back into the MIDI interface, the FB01 or itself. The CZ101 lacks a midi thru and I dont quite see a way arouind it. Any help most appreciated.

Tacoma WA

CZ101 MIDI out - >  Interface MIDI in -> to your software -> back out to the FB?

not sure if renoise will let you do stuff like this.

possibly midi yoke?

not to sure though

CZ101 OUT -> Edirol IN
Edirol OUT -> FB01 IN
FB01 THRU -> CZ101 IN

This configuration will let you use both the Edirol and CZ101 as controllers but it might require you to have your computer up and running if the Edirol doesn't allow an IN->OUT throughput when powered off. You will possibly also have to configure a throughput in Renoise if this option isn't available in your Edirol settings. If such a setting isn't available in Renoise either (this would surprise me though), fix it with http://www.midiox.com/ .
You should set up the Edirol and Casio to send on different midi channels and the Casio and Yamaha to receive on different ones as well.
Let us know if it works out.

Tokyo, Japan

Thanks most kindly for the advice. I will have a try with this set up at the weekend and post back.

Milwaukee, WI

I'd love to hear some MP3's of this going too!