Seattle, WA US

Drugs

Scotland

overload yourself with books, plays, stories, friends, films, graphic novels, adventures, and non-chipmusic. (if the main influence for your chip music is chip music, your music is going to sound like a pile of derivative shit. explore different genres. 'radiohead' is hardly bottom of the barrel stuff, expand yourself on to new music. i mean, if you aren't taking the chance with other obscure niches of music, why would people want to listen to yours?)

vary your influences, always write, whether that's words, drawings, music - just keep working, and it's hard to get shitter.

Milwaukee, WI

Echoing the sentiments of many other, longevity really does work.  Even if you aren't working especially hard, your tracks will get better as your taste, ability, and knowledge all develop. smile

Manchester, NH
boaconstructor wrote:

Drugs

That's usually counterproductive for me. I get ideas, but get lazy.

I just got my computer fixed and running like new. Now, I'm going to get started with stuff. Slowly, but surely.

Manchester, NH
Edward Shallow wrote:

overload yourself with books, plays, stories, friends, films, graphic novels, adventures, and non-chipmusic. (if the main influence for your chip music is chip music, your music is going to sound like a pile of derivative shit. explore different genres. 'radiohead' is hardly bottom of the barrel stuff, expand yourself on to new music. i mean, if you aren't taking the chance with other obscure niches of music, why would people want to listen to yours?)

vary your influences, always write, whether that's words, drawings, music - just keep working, and it's hard to get shitter.

Yes. This! What you said! I'm going with this. It's so obvious now that I think of it. That's why people bought my paintings in the first place. All my influences came from stuff that was nothing like my own. Thank you, man,

Nashville, Tennessee

just make yourself do it.
easier said then done but it's that simple. find what inspires you then create whatever you want. i don't listen to other people's music while i'm in process of writing a record, it's distracting.

also, drugs or not: if you find yourself being lazy, stop it. drugs are one of the most powerful tools for creating things in the hands of the right people, but i find that most people i encounter lack the self control/attention span to sit down and work on things for more than a few hours at a time.

California, United States

You could always force yourself to do a One Hour Battle over on Battle of the Bits http://battleofthebits.org/
I find that these is one of the easiest ways to just write something for the sake of writing smile

Darkness
88xAstronauts wrote:

Typical music creation process.
1. Set-up project in Ableton and FLstudio
2. Randomly select instrument and press a button
3. Immediately become frustrated
4. Realize your complete inadequacy
5. Become angry and depressed
6. Masturbate (make sure that the orgasm is unsatisfying, this is very important)
7. Take a shower while listening to Nirvana (Inutero)
8. Return to DAW
9. Stare into your screen saver, while contemplating suicide
10. Kill yourself (after you make a new song)

boaconstructor wrote:

Drugs

This is my routine.

Last edited by Fraktal Face (Apr 12, 2013 1:46 pm)

Unsubscribe

The key difference Ive seen between good musicians and productive good musicians is that the latter keeps making music even when they aren't inspired. Its ok to make shitty music as long as you just KEEP WITH THE PROCESS OF MAKING MUSIC. Its perfectly ok to make 80% crap as long as you keep practicing your chops.

New Albany Indiana

Get bored. Take a dump.

Earth
herr_prof wrote:

The key difference Ive seen between good musicians and productive good musicians is that the latter keeps making music even when they aren't inspired. Its ok to make shitty music as long as you just KEEP WITH THE PROCESS OF MAKING MUSIC. Its perfectly ok to make 80% crap as long as you keep practicing your chops.

Agreed. And take drugs too.

Unsubscribe

Well that's implied.