Los Angeles, CA

Learn to not worry about a few seconds of silence.  In my experience, audiences kinda like it when you say words to them.

Playboy Man-Baby
PianoGameboy wrote:

Scream.

At PAX, Nickelpunk suggested this.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Apr 7, 2013 7:27 am)

Los Angeles, CA
Direktor wrote:
thebitman wrote:

Your audience's applause and cheering should fill the gaps between songs.

That is not a good way of conduct if you try to make electronic dance music, which requires the maintenance of a continuous rhythm. In the event I visit a dance club, I am always put off when the music stops between songs or the rhythm of the next song is too different. It stops my dancing. My dancing should not stop.

Not all chipmusic is EDM, and chiptune shows aren't raves / dance clubs. Now, if you're going for the straight up EDM style, yeah, you probably shouldn't have silence between your tracks. I write stuff people can dance to, but I also write stuff that's good for moshing.

Sweden

Even for dance music I noticed that maintaining a continuous rhythm isn't really necessary if you put on a good show and line the songs up quickly enough. Getting people into a continuous trance has it's benefits, but it really isn't the only way to keep them dancing happily throughout your set.

Brunswick, GA USA

Has anyone reading this ever emptied a dance floor with a bad crossfade?

Unsubscribe

Yea but the song I crossfaded into was a Merzbow b-side

washington
Analog wrote:

I've seen meneo playing 4-5 minute songs with a single gameboy, and loading them in 20-30 seconds. Meanwhile he justs speaks to the audience telling fun stuff. But you'll need a good stage-persona  to connect with the people.

i guess this doesn't work if you're like me and have no social skills at all

Los Angeles, CA

if you have no social skills, drink. it helps. if you're heavily anti-alcohol, whatever. but i'm fucking socially retarded and i've found that at the very least a couple of shots before i play completely makes it possible for me to interact with the crowd. also makes it easier to talk with people at shows off the stage and whatnot. the more you drink, the easier it becomes, just don't throw up on stage, unless that is one of your transitions.

Youngstown, OH

use tunes with endings and then start new tunes? /devil's advocate

Wizwars wrote:

if you have no social skills, drink. it helps. if you're heavily anti-alcohol, whatever. but i'm fucking socially retarded and i've found that at the very least a couple of shots before i play completely makes it possible for me to interact with the crowd. also makes it easier to talk with people at shows off the stage and whatnot. the more you drink, the easier it becomes, just don't throw up on stage, unless that is one of your transitions.

I'm totally the same way.  I don't know why but when I'm sober, I'm super shy and if or when I actually try to talk to someone new, I just stutter a lot and sound like I only have a quarter of my brain.  But once I get about 2 beers in me, I become super talkative and friendly and the stuttering goes away.

Douglas, Wyoming
nerdsome wrote:
Wizwars wrote:

I'm totally the same way.  I don't know why but when I'm sober, I'm super shy and if or when I actually try to talk to someone new, I just stutter a lot and sound like I only have a quarter of my brain.  But once I get about 2 beers in me, I become super talkative and friendly and the stuttering goes away.

I'm gonna go on a limb and assume 90% of people at chip gatherings/shows are drunk