my mom's basement

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with samplers. I was researching around, and narrowed my results down to either the Zoom Sampletrax or Roland SP 303. I don't know which to buy, having never really used a hardware sampler. So what does cm.o prefer?

Toronto, Canada

SP 303 for sure!

Madison, Alabama

I have a Sampletrak. It's a lot of fun and imparts a gritty lo-fi-ish quality to samples. I've never used a 303, but the Sampletrak is easy to use.

my mom's basement
roboctopus wrote:

I have a Sampletrak. It's a lot of fun and imparts a gritty lo-fi-ish quality to samples. I've never used a 303, but the Sampletrak is easy to use.

Yeah, I heard good things about it's workflow. Are the effects up to snuff? I really don't care about them that much, but it's a nice touch.

my mom's basement

Double post. Oops.

Last edited by Catf1sh (Apr 12, 2013 5:56 pm)

Czech republic

I'd go for 303 but that's just because I had 202 before and I really liked it (never used it much though). Sampletrak seems like nice machine. It all depends on what kind of interface you need (sequencer? midi?) what kind of sound quality are you expecting and what kind of price range are we talking about.

Get an Akai S20. It's like the worlds shittiest MPC!

It's pretty fun though, gives a nice 12-bit grit to the samples, and although the onboard sequencer is fucking shit, it's still a neat sampler.

+1 for the Akai s20, Used to have one, miss it so much. Look at the akai remix 16 also (same thing with a crossfader+some mixing capabilities).

I currently use a sp-404 in my setup. Its a really simple, no hassle sampler. The effects are good, and its really cheap (got mine for 200$).

The only thing lacking imo is that you cant pitch a sample up/down (classic pitch that slows down/speed up the sample), although it does have a pitch shifter effect..and that applies to the whole sp line.

Check out the korg microsampler also, its really cheap now and its damn good.

my mom's basement

Thanks guys. The microsampler seems interesting, though the keys seem a bit of a pain for drums, that's just me though. The s20 seems pretty cool as  well, and it's dirt cheap. The mpc500 is always an option, but it's a bit on the pricey side, anyone used one of those?