I have been lucky to get my hands on a Arduinoboy v2.0 for my gameboy and I have been doing some test with some different gear, so I want to share my conclusions with the different gear. I want to note that the latest LSDJ version for Arduinoboy is 4.1.0 and I have been asking Johan about future versions with support of Arduinoboy. But Johan has been too busy lately to make the addressing for the newest version, but a newer version could fix some of the crashes I had.

My test has been based on doing sync from other gear:
Doepfer Dark Time > Arduinoboy v2.0 > Gameboy
Conclusion: A bit buggy.

Korg Monotribe (w. midi) > Arduinoboy v2.0 > Gameboy
Conclusion: Made lots of crashes!

Elektron Machinedrum > Arduinoboy v2.0 > Gameboy
Conclusion: Works perfectly!

Akai Mpc-1000:
Conclusion: Works perfectly, very similar to Elektron Machinedrums sync.

Daw test – Renoise & Cubase SX 3
Renoise: Works perfectly!
Cubase Sx3: Works perfectly

Alesis Micron:
Conclusion: The gameboy didn’t want to receive the midi clock from the unit.

Korg Microkorg:
Conclusion: Made lots of fatal crash and didn’t want to sync.

Xoxbox:
Conclusion: Sync perfectly

Nord Modular G1
Conclusion: Didn’t want to receive the midi clock

Nord Modular G2
Conclusion: Made lots of fatal crash and didn’t want to sync.

Czech republic

Thanks for the info!

Are there any interesting new features in the 2.0 version?

Unsubscribe

For the ones that dont work, try hooking them up to something like midiox and see what data besides clock is being sent. Maybe its sending active sensing or something.

On the aboy, did he include the ftdi header so you can update your own code?

VA

This is of interest to me because I plan to sequence my little modular using LSDJ->arduinoboy-> Pittsburg MIDI2 (midi->cv).

Did you use the MIDIout for sending notes/CCs/sync very much in these tests?

And somebody may have read my other comments and threads that asked about this topic and think, just stop thiniking about it get one ffs. Well, I'd still like to hear of any pitfalls smile

Last edited by Cartoon Bomb (Apr 12, 2013 2:58 pm)

ashimoke wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Are there any interesting new features in the 2.0 version?

I will be honestly with you – I never had version 1.0 but its Brendan Byrne, who has been making mine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52082118@N05/8591033170/
http://wtfbyrne.tumblr.com/post/3266918 … noboy-v2-0

This unit features:
Midi-in
Midi-out
LSDJ-Slave (sync)
LSDJ-Master (sync)
LSDJ Keyboard
Nanoloop
MGB

Czech republic

Oh, nevermind. I thought you meant 2.0 aboy software not just the box.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Hm. Never had any issues with my arduinoboy crashing with any of my gear. [ microkorg, arturia Minibrute, yamaha psr-500, korg electribe ES-1 MKII, suzuki omnichord, yamaha shs-10 ]

besides occasional phantom midi note data on channel 1 and dropped notes. But that's just universal it seems.

Auxcide wrote:

Hm. Never had any issues with my arduinoboy crashing with any of my gear. [ microkorg, arturia Minibrute, yamaha psr-500, korg electribe ES-1 MKII, suzuki omnichord, yamaha shs-10 ]

besides occasional phantom midi note data on channel 1 and dropped notes. But that's just universal it seems.

I only tested the ”sync” part, not sending midi from the gameboy or direct midi note control. I wanted to test how midi clock would work with different units.

VA

whoa not to say something off-topic but all of that guy's stuff looks really cool

But I hope that Johan will make some updates for the newest LSDJ (least addressing for a newer version), so it can be used more stable with this unit.