Canada

That component didn't fail or cause anything else to fail, and nothing else caused that. That's just glue. It's always looked like that. Can't say I know what the problem is with the sound because I don't have the unit in front of me, but usually the problem is the soldering job. The more recent set of pictures doesn't look that bad though, so it's hard to say.

If you're getting a crunching sound out of the pot when you move it, it's dirty inside.

(219) Indiana, USA

@Rolf: I don't think the green substance is glue because its not on any other power board I've ever seen and isn't on any of the ones i have that work (although I could be wrong seeing that I've never seen it before). Also the pot itself doesn't make a crackly noise but the speaker does when you move the pot to adjust the volume.
@alley beach: yah it's kind of a miracle in itself that most of the gameboys left still work almost perfectly or do after a little tlc.
@apeshit: Yes that sounds great! If I can't figure it out today ill pm you the details about shipping it to you. Thank you so much for being patient and helping me with this issue.

Haha holy shit, replace that cap, man.

NC in the US of America

@zaxxon: when they say the "the pot makes a crackling noise", they mean that the speaker crackles when you turn it, fyi.

西安
MooseHead wrote:

Haha holy shit, replace that cap, man.

Kitsch sells cap kits. Might be worth a shot.

viciousitaly wrote:

Kitsch sells cap kits. Might be worth a shot.

I'm all for supporting the scene and all, but his kit's pretty expensive.
Mixing your own set of caps is way cheaper if you just look around.
Tayda Electronics is especially great, if you're fine with 1-2 week shipping time.

EDIT: I do not know in my wildest dreams why I read $15, but hey.

Last edited by MooseHead (Apr 18, 2013 6:17 pm)

Buying caps can take hours when you have to go through datasheets to make sure the size is right, so I think that's a pretty fair price.

Anyway, that's not a capacitor, it's an inductor. Pretty sure that's epoxy, as Rolf suggested, so it's fine.

Apeshit wrote:

Buying caps can take hours when you have to go through datasheets to make sure the size is right, so I think that's a pretty fair price.

If I can save a couple dollars doing something that'll take me hours, I will.
Anyway $5 isn't bad either, I just thought it said $15 for some reason.