So I got a clear replacement shell from Kitsch-Bent and some Rit-Dye.
Would dying the shell retain its translucency or would it just make it hella opaque?

Am I just better off coating the inside of the shell with spraypaint instead?

Oh, right.
I have searched the forums and read the thread about Rit lower on the page, but couldn't really find anything about translucency.

Last edited by MooseHead (Apr 19, 2013 8:00 pm)

Pittsburgh

This post on a yoyo modifaction forum had some good-sounding information to it. If the case took the die nicely, it would be totally kickass to be able to make custom-tinted dmg cases (is it strange that soaking a dmg case in acetone, hot ter, and dye scares me less than painting from the inside?)

http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.ph … 643.0;wap2

I'd totally be interested in seeing the results this would produce!

ALSO! A mod should change the title to point out that this is wondering about transparent plastic, as there are no doubt many users who skipped this thread assuming that it is just someone who doesn't understand how the search function works.

Another Castle wrote:

This post on a yoyo modifaction forum had some good-sounding information to it. If the case took the die nicely, it would be totally kickass to be able to make custom-tinted dmg cases (is it strange that soaking a dmg case in acetone, hot ter, and dye scares me less than painting from the inside?)

ALSO! A mod should change the title to point out that this is wondering about transparent plastic, as there are no doubt many users who skipped this thread assuming that it is just someone who doesn't understand how the search function works.

Ah, thanks for the link.
From what I gather, dying transparent plastics will stain it, but still make it see-through? I guess I'll give it a try whenever the package shows up.

Oh, and I changed the title. Didn't even consider it, oops.

whoops, browser fucked up

Last edited by MooseHead (Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm)

It will most certainly preserve the translucency, but XMetals + a clear coat gives better results in my opinion.

Here's rit dye, and I'll try to find the red one I did with XMetals paint.

Actually, I think I lost the pictures. Here's one I found in a google search:

Last edited by Apeshit (Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm)

NC in the US of America

I keep coming to this thread thinking "'Dying Plastics' would be a cool name for a band".

Those DMG's look beautiful. Especially love the RGB-Boy. Someday I'd like to try dyeing a Gameboy like that, minus the red. Someday...

This is a bit off-topic, but how do you guys do the "watermark" in the screen? Does that show through when you've got a game running, or is that a "game" itself?

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Apr 19, 2013 9:37 pm)

matt's mind

^ its a ROM. 

not photoshop or anything wink

matt's mind
MooseHead wrote:
Another Castle wrote:

Ah, thanks for the link.
From what I gather, dying transparent plastics will stain it, but still make it see-through? I guess I'll give it a try whenever the package shows up.

Oh, and I changed the title. Didn't even consider it, oops.

doing the rit dye will permeate the very top layer of the plastic with dye.  so, yep, it will retain the transparency of the plastic.  it won't cause some weird reaction that causes it to cloud up, or anything like this.

really super dark colors might lessen the transparency.  (i.e., the difference in clear dark purple, vs. clear yellow or something)

SketchMan3 wrote:

Someday I'd like to try dyeing a Gameboy like that, minus the red.

I did that as well. It looked much better than with the red. I kind of wish I kept some pictures of these. Maybe they'll turn up.

SketchMan3 wrote:

This is a bit off-topic, but how do you guys do the "watermark" in the screen? Does that show through when you've got a game running, or is that a "game" itself?

Yeah, it's a rom. I should specify that because people have been thinking we watermark our backlights with a huge ape logo.

That one was sent to me by a fellow on this forum, I don't recall him name off the top of my head. He hacked an existing rom. The newer ones I use I've made from scratch, there's some guides on how to make them around.

Last edited by Apeshit (Apr 20, 2013 1:01 am)

matt's mind

^ SurfaceDragon most likely

Apeshit wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

Yeah, it's a rom. I should specify that because people have been thinking we watermark our backlights with a huge ape logo.

That one was sent to me by a fellow on this forum, I don't recall him name off the top of my head. He hacked an existing rom. The newer ones I use I've made from scratch, there's some guides on how to make them around.

That was me wink
And the one I did for you started as a hacked rom, but ended as a completely new one build from scratch.

Apeshit wrote:

It will most certainly preserve the translucency, but XMetals + a clear coat gives better results in my opinion.

Here's rit dye, and I'll try to find the red one I did with XMetals paint.

Actually, I think I lost the pictures. Here's one I found in a google search:

Ah that's wicked, thanks man!
Funnily enough, I mentioned XMetals to some guy who wanted to paint his Gameboy without covering the Nintendo logo.
Anyway, the place I live at doesn't stock Krylon anything, especially not XMetals, and it's pretty expensive to get aerosol cans shipped over, so I'm gonna go with the Rit and hope for the best.

Kinda wish I DID have access to Krylon, because god damn that looks sick.