Texas

I'm talking stuff like retroduo. And are the sound chips the same?

Milwaukee, WI

Nope!  At least not usually.  It's generally some form of emulation of the sound chip that misses finer details.  Things like samples, etc.

which could of course be interesting, if you are into that whole distorted sound.

ad-hell-aide

The sound is quite often horrible.

At least that's my experience with SEGA clones

Joliette, QC, Canada

the yobo I tested was horrible !!! The second squarewavw was totally bullcrap ! The color palette was kinda screwed with some stuffs and my Powerpak didn' worked on it !!!

sweden

All NES/Famicom clones I've tried have sounded quite bad.

Brunswick, GA USA

I would respect someone who made something good from an inaccurate chip on purpose, if you want to consider that a challenge. Wouldn't spend money on purpose though.

ad-hell-aide

chunter, i once wrote this release called dynasty (www.iimusic.net/catalog/2009/07/little-scale-dynasty), using a clone of a YM2413 that was a terribly noisy and distorted. Good fun times. Though I only learned later on that it was a broken clone haha!

Texas

I remember playing Zelda II on a retron3 sounding bad, but wanted to make sure it wasn't just the console specifically, ahaha. Thanks guys.
@little-scale, I am in love with Dynasty. It's such a trip. big_smile

Brunswick, GA USA

@little-scale: World class tones, exactly my point, well done!

Last edited by chunter (Mar 3, 2013 12:31 pm)

Austin, TX

I have a Yobo FC Twin, and it sucks ass when using a super gameboy... haven't tried the midiNES on it but I'm sure it's just as bad.

The clones are made up of just 1 chip, the whole chip is basically the whole console emulated on it. They are called consoles on a chip basically.