I recently modified my dmg gameboy to be backlit.  It all went well and works great but randomly half the screen will go blank or give me vertical pixel lines.  If I tap the gameboy logo it all goes back to normal.  Is there any way to fix this?  Thank you.

Alive and well in fucksville

Maybe look up the dead pixel fix on youtube, I heated up the little strip and pushed on it with an eraser till it cooled. Not too much heat tho!

Which backlight is it? How exactly do you have it installed?

(219) Indiana, USA

If you tap the case by the Gameboy logo and the pixels reappear and then disappear it might also have something to do with how tightly you closed up your Gameboy after you modified it. The Gameboy logo is pretty close to the bottom ribbon cable for the screen and if the case is putting too much pressure on it that might cause some weird issues...

Also you could refer to this video as a guide for heating up the ribbon cable to get dead pixels back:

http://youtu.be/fWAaTS4gFMc

Hopefully this all helps you out somehow

I used an asmretro 4led one.  It is issues with the bottom ribbon cable pressure sounds like a very likely issue.  Thanks.

Try testing it outside of the case. It sounds more like when you add pressure you're temporarily shorting out a broken connection. The ribbon cable may have been ripped in the film removal process.

I opened the system cable looked good and shut it keeping the case looser and it is still having the same issue.

Where did you solder the backlight?

I soldered it to the capacitor right below the screen.

I have one with similar symptoms that I hope to eventually get back around to.  I also could not find anything that would cause shorting or stress on the boards (but I know that is the cause of my issues due to when I run into problems).

Do you have any other mods? Is there any event that might cause it (holding it a certain way makes it happen more often, or it usually happens when you press a button, etc)?