ad-hell-aide

So... are people using any bottom end / bassy plugins to fatten their mixes in terms of mastering? If so, can you recommend one that works well for chipmusic stuff? If not, why not?

FRANCE

Not specialize in chip music but in general terms, some brainworks plugins are pretty good for mastering...
Some useful general tips:
keeping the bass power at or near the center (mono) help getting more bass power from speakers, distorting a bit will enhance harmonics and presence. Using analog gear can help too.
Last but not least , tuning drums with the bass part(s) can also greatly enhance the bass power.
If your original sound lacks bass you can double it with a clean sub one (sine wave, bit of drive), easily controllable in the mix.
leave space for the bass where bas is not really needed. smile

ad-hell-aide

Let's assume that the sine wave trick - which is a good idea, and I've used it before - won't really work with alot of chipmusic (for example, Game Boy music).

Which analog gear are you thinking?

I'll check out the brainworks plugins.

FRANCE

I have used in the past some bass maximizer in studio, not sure if it was BBS...I have to double check that, but basically the idea here is to excite the bass harmonics part or synthesize some.
Why it is not working well with GB music?, do you generate the sine part from the game boy too?

ad-hell-aide

I'm just saying that - from, let's call it a philosophical point of view - I would not want to add a newly synthesised music part to increase the bass, rather I would want to just use an audio signal as an input to an audio process of some sort.

I like how bassy and over the top trap music and related genres sound, and I'm wanting to get a similar feel with my chipmusic.

FRANCE

I will add that in terms of bass if you are going into the sub range, subs need to be clean.

FRANCE
little-scale wrote:

I'm just saying that - from, let's call it a philosophical point of view - I would not want to add a newly synthesised music part to increase the bass, rather I would want to just use an audio signal as an input to an audio process of some sort.

I like how bassy and over the top trap music and related genres sound, and I'm wanting to get a similar feel with my chipmusic.

Ok, I see, EQ is the best way in this case, if you solo listen each track from a very well mixed music, you will notice how lame each part will sound on their own...but together the picture is wonderful.