Finland

OK.

I'm back with some other questions, not related to backlights this time.
Again: I can't think of a better place to put this thread so I hope it's OK for it to be here.

* The question(s) are probably kind of simple for you people who are more fortunate in the modding concepts than me. I'm new to modding and fiddling with electronics as it is, but I'm very motivated to learn.

Anyhow: I'm in the pre-planning (I'm looking into the possibility rather than planning it full-on) stages of installing a prosound mod and was sort of wondering which one of them gives the most mileage (I understand of course that varies on what you're planning on doing).
I've heard good things about the 1/4" prosound mod because it plays nice with mixers and other audio hardware. And this is the primary one I'm considering because I'm planning on using two gameboys in parallel and I'm thinking I need a mixer of sorts for that anyway, right? Either a passive mixer (like some folks on here are building) or a usual audio mixer?

But another question is funnily that, is there a way to NOT have the internal speaker get the axe when installing this mod? I watched a video of a guy explaining how it's done and he just tore the internal speaker out because the override that turns the speaker off when headphones are plugged in of course doesn't apply when plugging in the 1/4" jack. So my thinking is, could you not just install a toggle switch that manually turns said speaker off whenever it's convenient? Because then you'd still be able to use it for games or such but also be able to shut it the hell up when plugged into a mixer or other?

But if I would be able to get a hold of a passive mixer somehow (either by some design that exists or building one myself however that would work) I could install either the RCA jack or the 1/8" jack mod instead.
I'm really not sure what's the best option for a guy that's not at the moment playing live gigs but can't rule that option out yet. Buuuut I could very realistically get behind the idea of an audio mixer anyway so the 1/4" doesn't sound so outlandish either. :S

Any ideas? Thoughts? "go-to-hell-noob"s? Fire away. smile Thanks in advance!

** I also apologize if I come off as I'm completely unloading here, but the truth is I kinda am, I have no one around me that I can discuss this with in great lengths.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (May 13, 2013 6:38 pm)

To answer your prosound/speaker question: Install your prosound prepot.  It won't disable the speaker when you plug into the jack but you can turn the volume all the way down (essentially disabling the speaker) and it won't affect the prosound jack volume.

Also, I use 1/8" jacks just because they take up less space in a DMG and there are 1/8" to 1/4" adapters readily available.  So it's entirely a preference thing.

Last edited by onapokoya (May 13, 2013 6:33 pm)

Puerto Rico

Get comfortable making good music before you go messing with mixers and dual gameboys and splurging cash.

You don't have to cut out the speaker for any kind of prosound, so long as you have the space.

What you do will dictate what you need. If you're just doing 2xlsdj and are comfortable with the noise then a passive mixer and 1/8" are fine. You can always use different adapters and cables later. What's the point of rca's, who needs live panning anyway? Especially when your panning options are hard left, hard right, and center.

IL, US

This should be posted in nintendo handhelds, since that's what you are talking about modding

New Albany Indiana

I think 1/8" is the best jack you can get, you can always get adapter jacks for 1/4' stuff.

Sweeeeeeden

Topic moved, and title edited to be overly clear.

Finland
onapokoya wrote:

To answer your prosound/speaker question: Install your prosound prepot.  It won't disable the speaker when you plug into the jack but you can turn the volume all the way down (essentially disabling the speaker) and it won't affect the prosound jack volume.

Also, I use 1/8" jacks just because they take up less space in a DMG and there are 1/8" to 1/4" adapters readily available.  So it's entirely a preference thing.

Wow. Thanks for that answer- you have no idea how at peace my mind is now! big_smile

@Xuriik: Yep. Don't worry. I'm not going to waste money on stuff. These are just thoughts and research. I'll commit to it later if I need to. smile
You make a good point about the RCA, and I'll admit that I didn't fully know what that enabled. I knew it was two jacks for stereo left/right, but overlooked the LSDJ panning detail. Thanks! smile

@Bit wish: Cool. That sound amazing actually. I'mma write this down for future reference.

@e.s.c and nitro2k01: Yes, OK. I'm sorry. *bow*

Last edited by my.Explosion (May 13, 2013 6:42 pm)

NC in the US of America

I alwys hear people saying they can't find an 1/8" jack with an internal switch that cuts off the speaker.

Couldn't they just rip one out of an old stereo or something?

washington
SketchMan3 wrote:

I alwys hear people saying they can't find an 1/8" jack with an internal switch that cuts off the speaker.

Couldn't they just rip one out of an old stereo or something?

yeah, but those are usually pcb-mounted, so they're hard to solder to, and there aren't any mounting threads on the jack itself.