Bristol

If there are no shows. put on shows.
Talk and promote in real life rather than just online.
live the dream.
etc.

South Jersey, USA

let chiptune musicians sleep on your couch or floor. share your food, hot water and toilet paper until you send them on their merry way.

Gosford, Australia
SJSFC wrote:

let chiptune musicians sleep on your couch or floor. share your food, hot water and toilet paper until you send them on their merry way.

so josh, if you could put me up for a soundbytes night that'd be gr8 :v

and you can totally stay at my place when there's a thing on sydney (even though i'm about an hour out of the city haha)

Unsubscribe

Walk the talk.

I'll help you sell your stuff

matt's mind

tell them you like what they are doing, be appreciative towards them.  too many people only put forward the effort when they are feeling negative towards something, somehow this negativity is more motivating.  and (awesomely) most everyone in this scene is very accessible and responsive. 

buy their stuff

go to shows if you're able (online/real life dichotomy breakdown!)

learn something new, and then share/teach this to other people when you can, and you'll end up being a student for a second time.  become an ambassador and you'll continue to grow in the matter.  i'm ripping off someone's quote i think i read on a bumper sticker, but whatever. 

reach out to them about their technique!  most people would love to share.  the 'how' of chipmusic is really as novel a thing as the music that's being made from the how.  the 'post your home/gig setup' thread on this site is a great example to illustrate the creativity of some people before they even make a noise

it seems like people are wanting more online interaction re: constructive criticism.  maybe jump in on that boat? 

this community doesn't really orbit around a central hard-edged identity, its a very fuzzy-edged group i think.  which sometimes means there is some general dispute over exactly what 'is' is, sure, but its also great ground for bringing in new ideas and working new concepts into whatever it is you're doing.  i think the best way any of us could help out this community is simply to bring our strong points/skills into whatever it is we're doing either in the purist center of the group or off in the fuzzy edges, or wherever you fall in between.  you'll also find that you might be able to interact with the community in a way which will allow you to train yourself up on the skills you already possess.  symbiotic relationship.  i bet there is a name for this in group-systems and networks studies lit somewhere

NC in the US of America

Don't be a know-it-all, talking about things that you weren't around to be a part of unless you've done a lot of really deep and heavy research.

Nomad's Land

one more thing: support the scene's software developers by testing new releases and submitting bug reports.

Nottingham, UK

Innovate and support innovation.
Work with other kinds of musicians.
Make sound together.

More generalish advice:
Don't allow your own self esteem issues to become an excuse to belittle others efforts.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (May 15, 2013 5:59 pm)

Help those in need. Cheer those who innovate. Suppress those that emulate. Love the scene and the scene will love you back.

Liverpool, UK

Also set up Facebook pages to promote dubstep remixes of video game music.

And feed the needy children!

funny thread thank you

post a lot of funny threads

Melbourne, Australia
Victory Road wrote:
SJSFC wrote:

so josh, if you could put me up for a soundbytes night that'd be gr8 :v

and you can totally stay at my place when there's a thing on sydney (even though i'm about an hour out of the city haha)

That sounds excellent, I'm about an hour from the city in melb too so this would definitely work both ways smile
In the past, have you had to get a hotel, etc?

Melbourne, Australia
kitsch wrote:

tell them you like what they are doing, be appreciative towards them.  too many people only put forward the effort when they are feeling negative towards something, somehow this negativity is more motivating.  and (awesomely) most everyone in this scene is very accessible and responsive. 

buy their stuff

go to shows if you're able (online/real life dichotomy breakdown!)

learn something new, and then share/teach this to other people when you can, and you'll end up being a student for a second time.  become an ambassador and you'll continue to grow in the matter.  i'm ripping off someone's quote i think i read on a bumper sticker, but whatever. 

reach out to them about their technique!  most people would love to share.  the 'how' of chipmusic is really as novel a thing as the music that's being made from the how.  the 'post your home/gig setup' thread on this site is a great example to illustrate the creativity of some people before they even make a noise

it seems like people are wanting more online interaction re: constructive criticism.  maybe jump in on that boat? 

this community doesn't really orbit around a central hard-edged identity, its a very fuzzy-edged group i think.  which sometimes means there is some general dispute over exactly what 'is' is, sure, but its also great ground for bringing in new ideas and working new concepts into whatever it is you're doing.  i think the best way any of us could help out this community is simply to bring our strong points/skills into whatever it is we're doing either in the purist center of the group or off in the fuzzy edges, or wherever you fall in between.  you'll also find that you might be able to interact with the community in a way which will allow you to train yourself up on the skills you already possess.  symbiotic relationship.  i bet there is a name for this in group-systems and networks studies lit somewhere

Thanks for taking the time to write all that, and on the topic of appreciating people, me (and most people here) love your work with kitschbent. In my opinion it's one of the most helpful ways to give back to a community. I was actually thinking a couple of days ago I'd love to buy some kind of kitschbent merch, like a tshirt with your nice logo (or maybe a design similar to your business card, with the pixel clouds and the little houses) on it to show my gratitude. I assume you've had these in the past but they finished their run?