WOW MAN!

Does anyone know if any of the sequencing/DAW big-boys have the ability to set song tempo in real-time from an incoming audio source?

Camden, London

software or hardware? I know the korg EMX can but it heavily relies on a steady beat

Milton Keynes, England

i'm sure it could be done in ableton with max for live... i don't know if there's other ways of doing it though.

WOW MAN!
57 wrote:

software or hardware? I know the korg EMX can but it heavily relies on a steady beat

Software preferably. I'd read about the EMX funnily enough - looks like a nice bit of kit but overkill for what I want.

The Max route could be interesting. I keep loading Max but end up staring at it for hours then quitting it with a headache... smile

Milan, Italy

i usually just tap my finger on my mini kaosspad. lol

Camden, London
arottenbit wrote:

I ALWAYS forget to do that

England

ignore me. yes.

Last edited by Jellica (Mar 29, 2010 1:52 pm)

ad-hell-aide

I made a patch to sync DS-10 to Live using a steady beat etc.

http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2009/0 … ds-10.html

Could be what you're looking for maybe.

Tacoma WA

herr_prof showed me a away to do this in a Nord Modular, i lost the link though.

))<>((
arottenbit wrote:

this, but in Live. It's never completely accurate, but can get pretty close.

Last edited by tacticalbread (Mar 29, 2010 4:41 pm)

Milton Keynes, England
tacticalbread wrote:
arottenbit wrote:

this, but in Live. It's never completely accurate, but can get pretty close.

he's asking for a way to sync automatically in real time from audio input... not for a tap tempo function. lots of things have tap tempo and i'm sure he's aware of this smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

best bet is goign to be to isolate the low frequencies.. find a common bass range for kick drums and take the average off the peak wave form threshold.

WOW MAN!

Heh, thanks Jonny

Yep, I'm aware of plenty of tapping solutions, I just wondered if there's something that you can just kind of leave running and will be constantly trying to sync to an incoming signal based on beat detection.

Can't be *that* hard can it?

@little-scale - thanks, I'll have a look at that smile

Marysville, WA

Tap tempo seems to be the most reliable for me. My EMX 'auto-bpm' jumps all over the place with anything but 4/4 dance music... it's quite fun and easy adding breaks over top of jumpstyle with it.

Unsubscribe

Btw that thing I showed infradead only works to sync to micromod, it wont help you generate midi clock or anything.

Tacoma WA
herr_prof wrote:

Btw that thing I showed infradead only works to sync to micromod, it wont help you generate midi clock or anything.

yah but the idea would work with any modular environment.  so you could look at how its done and use it elsewhere if you were crafty.