San Diego, CA

This is the original soundtrack to Ad Infinitum³, a videogame/theater piece performed at the Qualcomm Institute at UCSD. It's what I've been working on for the last couple of weeks and my first official soundtrack.

The piece was divided into three acts, plus a preshow.

Included in the download are the individual acts (w/ preshow), plus a couple images from the performances themselves! Have fun guys smile

http://spacetownsavior.bandcamp.com/alb … soundtrack

NC in the US of America

whoa whoa whoah, what? I'm just trying to figure out why this is my first time hearing about the Ad Infinitum project, and where can I find out more about it, and are there youtube videos of the performance? What is this exactly? It sounds really interesting.

Also, the music is really cool. It's so atmospheric.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 26, 2013 3:50 am)

Czech Republic

Shit. You're great. Like your music so much. All of your music.

New Orleans, Louisiana

Amazing! That intense DnB track blew my mind!

California

;________; san diego is should be proud. this is so rad pat

Matthew Joseph Payne

So good!

San Diego, CA
SketchMan3 wrote:

whoa whoa whoah, what? I'm just trying to figure out why this is my first time hearing about the Ad Infinitum project, and where can I find out more about it, and are there youtube videos of the performance? What is this exactly? It sounds really interesting.

So this project is the brainchild of one Andy Muehlhausen, a sound design master's student at UCSD (formerly of Purdue) who I've worked with previously on a (failed) proposal for a multimedia interactive space. Ad Infinitum³ is a project that's trying to take theater structures (i.e. acts, staging, lighting, etc.) and have them play themselves out in a videogame.

The videogame was played on smartphones, and most of the tech behind it was built to send network messages from the phones themselves (via an HTML5 page + Javascript) to the main game engine using a node.js server. The game engine would then update our ENORMOUS FUCKING SCREEN (i'll explain in a bit) with the draw messages, and there you go -- large, in person multiplayer sessions that only require the player to connect to an HTML5 page on their phone!

Many of the events that you'd think to script in a videogame like meters going down/up and the timing of the transitions between acts were actually controlled live by Andy via Max/MSP, Max for Live (oh my god so good), and an old MPD controller. This also helped us with the music, because instead of having to very carefully time the game to the music, we could simply count off when a phrase would end and Andy could hit a button to transition to the next scene.

We held these "performances" at UCSD at what was then Calit2 (now renamed to the Qualcomm Institute) on a 4 by 8 monitor array. Think the biggest computer screen you can buy, and then multiply it by 32 and synchronize all of them to make one big monitor, and that's what we developed/played on. It was great (technical problems aside)!

As far as Youtube videos go, I'm not sure yet, as most of the raw footage was captured by the techs at UCSD, so we'll need to figure out how we'll go about getting that stuff and then editing together a video, but I'll definitely post it here when it becomes available!

Thanks everyone!

greaaat

Tokyo, Japan

This was unexpected. Really nice stuff man! Keep it up!

Perth, Australia

This is cool

New England, USA

seriously good job on this!! love it!