That is so fucking awesome! You've already exceeded regular GB MK3's select music in my opinion. Amazing work, really.

I've noticed MKII had some really loud, hard, percussion, so I'm aiming to figure out exactly how they pulled it off with the noise channel.

Last edited by paulc (Mar 30, 2014 3:08 am)

I made a few improvements, same url: http://mmlshare.com/tracks/view/450

I'll start trying to figure out the pulse design for the desert stage, which will be an interesting challenge. The gameboy's wave channel is most likely going to have to be used for drum samples(kick, snare and toms...which I'll combine with the noise channel so it'll sound pretty nice) so that leaves me with only two channels for the music. The desert stage has two very distinct melody lines amid ambient guitar chords and a bass line...this'll take a lot of consideration, lol.

Simultaneously getting stuff transferred over to xpmck and figuring out the details with the wave channel and getting samples to work with it. I'll focus on these two tunes so you can get that demo put together.

edit: guh, looks like xpmck doesn't support using the wave channel for samples. that's fine, i'll just use a triangle waveform on the wave channel and do some hybrid magic so it's doing both bass and drums. this'll probably end up sounding better actually.

editx2: got xpmck up and running after wading through hours of it's finicky bullshit, here's a .gb rom of the thing from the mml site: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/315 … 0pulses.gb

i'll be using bgb as my emu of choice while writing stuff. i can also compile .asm and .gbs from mml if those are ever needed.

if anyone else wants a hassle free way to compile your mml to .gb, .gbs and .asm, let me know and i'll upload/link my customized xpmck folder. it's a pain in the ass otherwise, if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited by gyms (May 26, 2013 11:52 am)

If you could share the MML folder for compiling, that would be a great help. I've been looking for something like that.

As for the Triangle wave form, is that basically what regular GB MK3 used for the wave channel? I personally liked the deep powerful bass in GB MK3, and hope to replicate something similar.

On the noise channel, regular GB MK3 kinda sucks, but MK1 and II are excellent; by far the most powerful and loud drum hit sounds I've heard on GB. Using BGB you can isolate the sound channels to listen to them using F5,F6,F7,F8. If we could do something similar to MKII, we may be able to handle most the drum sounds with just the noise channel, and not resort to wave samples for harder hits.

You can also view the particular wave form a game is using in BGB by going to I/O menu.

Last edited by paulc (May 28, 2013 9:43 pm)

Here's my optimized xpmck folder for hassle free gameboy music making via mml-xpmck: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/315 … ameboy.rar

All of the necessary files are in there, but most everything is hidden to make things more streamlined and easier to look at.

How to use:

1. Extract the 'xpmck-gameboy' folder from the .rar and throw it wherever you want(the intended folder presentation won't carry over until it's extracted.)
2. The only folders you should see are xpmck>demo>gbc (do NOT rename anything, the batch files and a zillion other files rely on these specific names for the process to function properly).
3. "current.mml" is the text file you will be editing. I left my most recent work in there for an example of what a working .mml looks like.
4. When you're done editing, save it. Double click "mkgb.bat" if you wanna make a .gb file and "mkgbs.bat" if you wanna make a .gbs file. They will read whatever is in current.mml and respectively overwrite the *blank*.gb and *blank*.gbs files.
5. bgb is right there. If you make a .gb file, you can just drag it over to bgb and hear stuff instantly.

If anyone wants to enhance the batch files further and make the .gb file go straight into bgb without having to drag in manually, by all means go for it! I don't know how to do it and really don't feel like spending the time to figure it out.