Germany

So i had this idea. We´re revitalising our P&P RPG group and i thought about running an oldschool Sword & Wizardry (which is a D&D 1e "clone") campaing. There are lots of retro-style adventures out there & i bought a bunch for cheap. Then i started creating my own pawns for the game by using this tutorial: http://rpghacker.com/rpg-hobby-games/di … yle-pawns/ & the infinite amount of fantasy character related pictures on the internet.
BUT THEN i thought: "Wouldn´t it be awesome for this whole retro-style feel, if i had pixel art pawns & chiptunes for my DMDJ app as BGM?"
So, if you have any chiptunes that would fit into a fantasy rpg & wouldn´t mind me using it please post a link here. A description for how or where you would use your specific music (like: town bgm, tavern bgm, forest bgm, cave bgm, battle bgm...) would be highly appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance!
PS: I´ll be posting a request for pixelart in the "Graphics, Artwork & Design" section as well.

TO CLARIFY: I´m not asking anyone to work for me for free. But if you read this thread & posted some tunes here you might think could fit this idea please post a link. If the idea above got your creative juices flowing & you wanna post something you created for this specifically, awesome. And YES, links to your albums are welcomed as well, but i might not buy them right away.
And when you post something, please state if you´re ok with me putting your tunes in a collection, so that others might use them for their "Retro-Pixelated-PnP-RPGs". Obviously i wouldn´t put payed tunes in there.
So i hope this clarifies some things & that we might see / hear some great stuff soon.

Last edited by Graustufe (May 28, 2013 9:21 am)

Haha, this would be awesome! I'd love for there to be an archive of chiptune "Mood Music" (town, cave, epic KILLTHATDRAGONGETITOFFMEMYHAIRISONFIRE music, etc).
I might get a track or two together for you if you promise to make the collection available as a zip file somewhere after smile

This would be great as a "Chiptune soundrack to me life" sort of idea, and would be handy to just have in my music library.

Germany

@Zef: Thanks! Glad i´m not the only one who likes the idea. If you really create something original/specific i bow to you & make you a NPC wink
When it all works out i would definetly like to put together a RPG album & load it up somewhere for others to download.

East Kilbride, Scotland

http://garryjlee.bandcamp.com/album/roy … soundtrack

I made this looping RPG soundtrack for a game that was sadly never released, lots of the music on there would suit your project and is already labelled where the music was to be used.

Germany

@Sycamore Drive: I like it & there´s definetly some stuff i could use, thanks. To be blatantly(?) honest, i´m not sure i wanna throw (a lot of) money at this project at this stage right now. I´ve got a good "standard OST / fitting music" collection & tons of "standard fantasy" images to use for pawns. So i´m not financially committing to anything untill i know it´ll work & my gaming group is interested. I know this sounds cheap & you don´t have to believe me but i´ll keep your music in mind.

Gosford, Australia

if you don't need exclusive rights to this stuff then you should just buy/free download people's music that you think fits and play it

California

I love this idea. someone should make themed compos. like cave music, boss music, forest music.... etc

Last edited by Rei Yano (May 28, 2013 4:44 am)

Germany

@Victory Road: It would just be nice to get links from people for their tunes, or tunes they might find fitting. That way i wouldn´t have to browse the archive for hours / days. I´ll do that as well, don´t get me wrong, but i might miss some nice stuff. Got some PMs as well, though i would prefer people to post in this thread. I might edit my original post to clarify things a bit.

Last edited by Graustufe (May 28, 2013 9:22 am)

England

it would be easy enough to find lists of old rpgs/fantasy games for different systems and then download the sound tracks or make a youtube playlist.

Last edited by Jellica (May 28, 2013 9:52 am)

Germany

@Jellica: Yes, doing that as well. I just thought it would be nice to share my silly little idea. For me it would only work if it all came togehter in the end: Chiptunes, Sprite Character / Monster Pawns, Sprite Floor Plans...

Just found "tropical dungeon boss theme song_By ocean palace" at the CM.O homepage. Fits really nicely.
http://chipmusic.org/ocean+palace/music … theme-song

Los Angeles, CA

Couple years back I was running a tabletop fallout game that I did this for.  Mostly just for the combats.  Lots of IAYD.

Germany

@Mrwimmer: So, did it work, or was it disturbing in some way? Did you use any (pixel) pawns?

Los Angeles, CA

It worked really well!  Set the tone really well in combat, kept it moving at a good pace as well.  Just make sure that your awesome boss music doesn't come on during some cool RP.  If you have some manner of remote controlled sound equipment and intimate knowledge of a burned CD, you can probably handle it.

Also, Nah man, I don't have the miniature bug really, and the system wasn't great for them.

Last edited by Mrwimmer (May 29, 2013 6:08 pm)

Germany

@Mrwimmer: Nice. I´m going to use an ipad app called DMDJ. You can play songs & environmental sounds ect. Works quite nicely. I´m still working on the pawns, i think they belong to a retro rpg. Right now i´m creating characters with Megaman templates.

EDIT

Here are some pawn samples:

Last edited by Graustufe (May 30, 2013 10:22 am)

placerville, ca

just saw my name got dropped in this thread, thanks graustufe! i would be so down for my music to be in any project at all! YA it's all free on oceanpalace.bandcamp.com. i will even make music to fit whatever you have in mind if you'd like that too!

Germany

@ocean palace: Hey! I have to thank you good sir. My comment on your song seems broken for some resason, but yeah, really like it & it fits into my little idea pretty well. I don´t wanna ask for specific stuff, that was never my intention. I mean, if anyone got inspired & wouldl ike to create a nice tune, great. Otherwise i´m just looking for things already out there that would fit my little private non-commercial rpg project & i gonna check out your other stuff as soon as possible.