Serbia,Belgrade

I have a series 9 laptop which i got as a present recently.It only has one audio jack(so either audio in or audio out)
I planned for live for my gameboy to go into ableton addint some effects like reverb and such and to have other stuff on it so i don't have to buy kaoss pad or such for example.
How will i get this to work?The first thing that came to my mind was a usb soundcard.But don't they have lag/latency( not sure how you call it) and how secure is it not to fail on a set.

Thanks a lot in advance.Hope this is not in wrong section or such.

- clarified title - lb

Last edited by Lazerbeat (May 29, 2013 1:46 pm)

Toronto, Canada

I don't see what this has to do with Nintendo Consoles at all.

Anyhow, to reduce latency use ASIO. Pretty much all sound hardware can do ASIO these days, it's just not the default mode because it's more CPU intensive.

sweden

And use asio4all if you have a normal crappy built in soundcard.

http://www.asio4all.com/

But best is to buy a real soundcard of course.

Last edited by nordloef (May 29, 2013 10:40 am)

Serbia,Belgrade
nordloef wrote:

And use asio4all if you have a normal crappy built in soundcard.

http://www.asio4all.com/

But best is to buy a real soundcard of course.

i would use the build in but it only has one jack so i can't do audio out and input form gameboy

shanghai

then you need a usb soundcard. can get them pretty cheap, then you will have a line in and also your audio outs. and better latency.

hardcore, Australia

Just record all the game boy parts into ableton and do everything from there.

Serbia,Belgrade
godinpants wrote:

Just record all the game boy parts into ableton and do everything from there.

I don't like doing that.I don't like computers for performance.Only reaoson i wanna use it because it's a free alternative for effects when i don't have mini kaoss pad from a friend.

Downstate wrote:

then you need a usb soundcard. can get them pretty cheap, then you will have a line in and also your audio outs. and better latency.

Yeah but any recommendations which one to get or from which ones to stay away.I got a small "soundcard" with my gaming headphones(which is literally just a extension for headphones with usb) The sound with it is so much behind it's literally impossible to compose or even mix normally.

shanghai

Thats called latency.
Im no expert - i got an edirol ua 25. Its cheap. i had it for 5 years and its ticking over enough to do what i need to do.
Remember you get what you pay for.
There are lots of threads on here about soundcards / mixers etc. Do a search and you'll find some helpful information.

Serbia,Belgrade
Downstate wrote:

Thats called latency.
Im no expert - i got an edirol ua 25. Its cheap. i had it for 5 years and its ticking over enough to do what i need to do.
Remember you get what you pay for.
There are lots of threads on here about soundcards / mixers etc. Do a search and you'll find some helpful information.

cheers,I'll go through forum a bit more for the soundcard but if anyone still has a suggestion i'm up for it big_smile