Cleveland, OH

What ideas do you guys have?

Milwaukee, WI

I love both of those boards!  One thing I'd like to see, is a replacement audio board that doesn't have the standard DMG jack footprint, never been a fan of those.  The clear topped switchcraft 1/8 are my babies!

Unsubscribe

Id love to see a breakout box for audio and arduinoboy midi i/o with a simple db9 esque connector at the bottom of the boy... then I can leave the box hooked to my rack for easier setup.

If you do go with a DB9 I would suggest using the Synthboy+ standard.  I plan on making more devices that will accept a DMG with that mod very easily.  It also adds power into the connector as well as audio and expansion connector.  Here is the guide and I am more than willing to explain my reasoning for the wiring.
Here is a link to the guide.
www.ninstrument.com/synthboy/SYNTHBOY%20DIY%20MOD%20GUIDE.zip

Unsubscribe

Have you run into any problems with audio/midi crosstalk?

herr_prof wrote:

Have you run into any problems with audio/midi crosstalk?

No crosstalk, but if you use metal housed DB9 connectors and connect the outer shell to ground, it will bring extra noise in.  I guess it treats the metal housing like an antenna.  For this reason we use Nylon style DB9 connectors.  Another bonus of using Nylon is they are more durable too.
Only downside to Nylon connectors is expense.  They cost $4.00 each.  Ouch.

Cleveland, OH
Theta_Frost wrote:

I love both of those boards!  One thing I'd like to see, is a replacement audio board that doesn't have the standard DMG jack footprint, never been a fan of those.  The clear topped switchcraft 1/8 are my babies!

I wanted to do a new headphone jack altogether but I can't seem to find one that has a ground switch like the DMG jack.

Milwaukee, WI

Is a ground switch different from a normal switched style jack?  These are the guys I'm talking about, they come in switched and non-switched.  I guess my ideal board wouldn't even function as the headphone output but just have a buffered pro sound out, so switching wouldn't even matter.  That's my dream!

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Swi … 4OCVylQ%3d

Cleveland, OH

I looked at those actually. It seems possible that it could work but I honestly do not know. I need to buy a few to test out.

France

I think I'm getting there a little bit late, but has your Arduinoboy been sold (the one that has been fitted in a nes controller) ? If yes, I would be interested to buy it. I'm in France, so I'd like to know how much would that cost. Thank you mate.

Cleveland, OH

There seems to be a lot of different information about link cables and link ports on the internet. I came up with this handy like image to hopefully clear it up. Let me know if you think I should add/change anything!

matt's mind

you're awesome.  i love your info charts and such

Cleveland, OH

Thanks smile

France

Ha ha ha ... I posted in the wrong place, sorry ! ;-)

Sweeeeeeden

Maybe you should point out that red and orange are crossed over in a DMG-04 cable, since obviously in on one end goes to out o the other.
Then there's the name "SD", which can be confusing. The name SD comes from GBA link cables. The name is normally not actually used for any kind of serial data in 8-bit GB hardware. The official name for this pin for 8-bit generation hardware is the slightly more cryptic P14. This is the name of the CPU pin it's connected to in a DMG; which is an output related to reading the state of the buttons.

Cleveland, OH
nitro2k01 wrote:

Maybe you should point out that red and orange are crossed over in a DMG-04 cable, since obviously in on one end goes to out o the other.
Then there's the name "SD", which can be confusing. The name SD comes from GBA link cables. The name is normally not actually used for any kind of serial data in 8-bit GB hardware. The official name for this pin for 8-bit generation hardware is the slightly more cryptic P14. This is the name of the CPU pin it's connected to in a DMG; which is an output related to reading the state of the buttons.

Great! Thank you so much! I will update this soon! "SD" was the most ambiguous name to find. "Serial data" seemed the most common so I went with that. Because "SO" and "SI" are "serial data in" and "serial data out" which makes "serial data" an odd name.

I realized shortly after I posted it that I should make a few notes at the bottom on how "SO and "SI" need to "cross" for a link cable("out" need to connect to "in") as well as how a DMG-04 cable can be modified by moving the ground pin to the 5v pin as the shield is directly connected to ground and does a fine job. Essentially making the less common DMG-07 cable a non necessity for powered applications such as PS2 keyboards and Arduino Boys.