London, UK

Hi

I have an original 8580 chip as well as a SwinSID for the C64C. When I have the original chip in the single socket on the motherboard the C64 does not output any VIDEO, no picture whatsoever. When I either have no SID installed or the SwinSID it turns on fine. The last time I used the C64 about 3 months ago it was fine with the 8580 chip.

Anyone have any ideas/pointers?

Cheers, Tom

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sadly, it sounds a little like the chip has bought it. It's hard to know without more testing, but that's what it sounds like.

London, UK

i have been playing about with this all morning/last night. i think unfortunately you may be right. i have now managed to get an image on screen when this 8580 is fitted but when using mssiah audio diagnostics it produces no sound. If I apply a little bit of pressure on the top of the sid with the plastic handle of a screw driver it crackles and pops.

annoyingly i have just come to realise that the swinSID does not seem to allow potentiometer control as the readouts jump about all over the place when that chip is in place but are steady when the 8580 is. damn.