Clermont-Ferrand, France

Hi everyone,

I'm fresh new, I'm french so I speak bad English, and I'm trying to make some 8-bit original compositions. I use mainly Famitracker.
Any feedback on composition itself is welcome, but more than that I have a rather specific question :

What do you think of mixing 8-bit music in space (pan) ? I was going to leave my stuff in mono like a purist would do (I can't say I am one), but mixing it with stereo could really get this more punchy...

Here's my sound : http://soundcloud.com/please-lose-battle

These two tracks are still a work in progress, but I'd like to make my mind about the question above before talking about making an EP. If anyone can help...

Thanks !

Matt

Gosford, Australia

imo pretty much any sort of music can benefit from a thoughtful stereo image, even if that just means sticking a tiny amount of stereo reverb over the track.

nailed it is really good btw

西安
PleaseLoseBattle wrote:

mixing it with stereo could really get this more punchy...

If you think it'll make your sound better - try it! Can't hurt anything. I'm sure nobody here is going to nail you for not being a 'purist' so long as you are honest about where your sound comes from and don't try to misrepresent it.

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Thanks guys, I really appreciate !

I'll try it then. Indeed it can't hurt anything.

NC in the US of America

Nailed It is really cool. At first it made me think of Mega Man Battle Network, but then it just went off, haha. I love the drums. Was that done in Famitracker? I like how the drums blend in with the non-sampled elements. Most people seem to use realistic drum samples.

Doesn't Famitracker have an expansion chip that allows for stereo separation? I don't see anything impure about that.

California, United States
SketchMan3 wrote:

Nailed It is really cool. At first it made me think of Mega Man Battle Network, but then it just went off, haha. I love the drums. Was that done in Famitracker? I like how the drums blend in with the non-sampled elements. Most people seem to use realistic drum samples.

I agree with SketchMan, "Nailed It" is a superb track. It flows well and it has such a carefree feeling. smile

SketchMan3 wrote:

Doesn't Famitracker have an expansion chip that allows for stereo separation? I don't see anything impure about that.

I don't believe FamiTracker has that, I know you can export each channel as a solo .WAV file, but I've never seen a stereo expansion chip.

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Thank you very much ! This is really motivating !

Yes, everything was done in Famitracker, including the drums (combination of noise and triangle). I worked on the drums before doing any music, until I had a satisfying sound.

Yes, I didn't know this chip either. I guess I'll just work on stereo with some classic sequencer.

Last edited by PleaseLoseBattle (Jun 5, 2013 7:28 pm)

NC in the US of America
Doxic wrote:

I don't believe FamiTracker has that, I know you can export each channel as a solo .WAV file, but I've never seen a stereo expansion chip.

Hm. I thought I had read that somewhere... but I just looked through the expansion chip info and didn't see anything about it. My bad.