.FILTHadelphia
gyms wrote:

my point is that no one writes chipmusic for a living outside of what, two groups of people? no one that visits a chipmusic forum is going to be writing chipmusic *for a living* in 2013.

and you can't refuse money that was never really in your hands anyway, what you're talking about is some fantastic hypothetical situation. and from this angle, yes there is a moral issue that pisses me off.

i hate how capitalism has everyone thinking they're so clever and just look to exploit whatever they can for profit. chipmusic in the most common and practical sense is monetarily worthless. but that obviously doesn't mean it has no worth. most people just enjoy making music with neat sounds, enjoying the nostalgia trip/whatever and sharing the experience with friends and other people they meet online. this is not a pipedream btw, this is the reality of what happens every day with hundreds of submissions from people across various sites.

and to take that and convince yourself that there's money to be made isn't just some morally unsound notion, but it just goes to show what a creep you are.

not calling you a creep, not calling you a faggot; i'm speaking on a general ground here

Other than your misguided view of capitalism I agree with you. My initial post in this thread was in similar vein everything after was just entertaining the hypothetical notion of making money.

XC3N wrote:

if you don't get it then clearly you've never written music for a living.

What?

Brunswick, GA USA
XC3N wrote:

Just come to montreal already, that's what bright primate and ESC are doing #coolpeopledoit

I can't go that weekend because I took the weekend after off for my brother's wedding. If you want to have me in 2014, PM me and I'll explain my expenses/requirements.

Montreal, Canada

Is it weird if I'm fapping to this thread right now?

@SketchMan3,

My issue comes from the question of modern day relevancy and the over saturation of music things in general via the internet. Looking back at all the western musical movements of the past, you can surmise all of these relevant social or cultural movements which accommodated them. Essentially there was a demand for music to be written and of course satisfying a demand warrants compensation. But what's in demand today? Mostly RnB, country, hiphop and popped out versions of rock and whatever...that's the demand of the public at large. Most things that fall outside of these just feel a bit socially irrelevant to me. Why should anyone expect compensation for something that isn't really needed or wanted? It seems a lot of people are almost begging for or demanding it.

@XC3N,

if that was directed at me, writing *chipmusic* for a living is not the same as writing *music* for a living. these two phrases mean completely different things and it seems some signals are getting crossed

edit:

@defiantsystems,

what do you see as misguided?

Last edited by gyms (Jun 7, 2013 10:08 pm)

Seattle, WA US

so if you aim to make money off of chiptune while also raising public awareness with the goal of furthering the scene/sound/movement, you would invest in the live side of chip.

Dance music is profitable based on attendance at raves, straight up. The first step towards making chip profitable would be to adopt the structure and promotion network of the rave scene. I think that Eindbaas is doing a good job at this, but there is much more that could be done.

If a couple few dance/bass chipstars were to find themselves onto the roster of a successful booking agent, awareness would absolutely be raised through exposure.

Going beyond this, contests with rad giveaways is another huge facet of marketing this sort of music (not chip in particular, as I don't think it's been done.) Facebook pages which give away CDJs and other DJ/production equipment blow up real quickly when you require contestants to like the page, share the giveaway posting, sign up for a mailing list etc.

Basically, promo is what chip lacks, due to the fact that there is no real money in chip. Making smart, strategic investments could very well change this, though.

Montreal, Canada

Still fapping.

Seattle, WA US

P.S.: obligatory "why would we not want to be compensated/recognized for our hard work and dedication put into that which we love?" post

Griffintown, Montréal, Québec
chunter wrote:
XC3N wrote:

Just come to montreal already, that's what bright primate and ESC are doing #coolpeopledoit

I can't go that weekend because I took the weekend after off for my brother's wedding. If you want to have me in 2014, PM me and I'll explain my expenses/requirements.

oh, I don't even know who you are x_X sorry I thought you were just looking for a party to enjoy :3

to gyms and defiant:

I meant that doing something as a hobby/passion and doing something for a living are two different things and that having to deal with the harsh realities of making music and/or chiptune for a living could be a very valid reason to "refuse money to write music for a living".

I also wasn't targeting anyone with that at all. Just that I would be reticent to do music for a living because it looks like it's fucking hell.

Doing it for fun is amazing, though.

IL, US
boaconstructor wrote:

so if you aim to make money off of chiptune while also raising public awareness with the goal of furthering the scene/sound/movement, you would invest in the live side of chip.

Dance music is profitable based on attendance at raves, straight up. The first step towards making chip profitable would be to adopt the structure and promotion network of the rave scene. I think that Eindbaas is doing a good job at this, but there is much more that could be done.

If a couple few dance/bass chipstars were to find themselves onto the roster of a successful booking agent, awareness would absolutely be raised through exposure.

Going beyond this, contests with rad giveaways is another huge facet of marketing this sort of music (not chip in particular, as I don't think it's been done.) Facebook pages which give away CDJs and other DJ/production equipment blow up real quickly when you require contestants to like the page, share the giveaway posting, sign up for a mailing list etc.

Basically, promo is what chip lacks, due to the fact that there is no real money in chip. Making smart, strategic investments could very well change this, though.

wait, we can still give real responses in here?

Seattle, WA US

is OP confirmed troll? haven't read full thread

.FILTHadelphia
gyms wrote:

@defiantsystems,

That you view capitalism as exploitative. That's a lengthy discussion that's not really appropriate to this topic or this forum but basically making money isn't morally corrupt. If people are willing to give you money for your efforts then take it.

.FILTHadelphia
XC3N wrote:

to gyms and defiant:

I meant that doing something as a hobby/passion and doing something for a living are two different things and that having to deal with the harsh realities of making music and/or chiptune for a living could be a very valid reason to "refuse money to write music for a living".

I also wasn't targeting anyone with that at all. Just that I would be reticent to do music for a living because it looks like it's fucking hell.

I was speaking more along the lines of doing what I do now. Writing music I want to write and performing it, that sounds awesome. But I see where you're coming from and that could be awful but would probably be better than my current job.

defiantsystems wrote:
gyms wrote:

@defiantsystems,

That you view capitalism as exploitative. That's a lengthy discussion that's not really appropriate to this topic or this forum but basically making money isn't morally corrupt. If people are willing to give you money for your efforts then take it.

haha, what's not exploitative about taking advantage of ignorance?! what thought process do you think marketing strategies come from?

and people don't just hand money over to you unless there really is a demand for it. all this talk is about 'creating more demand' for chip music to make money which is conniving as fuq

.FILTHadelphia
gyms wrote:
defiantsystems wrote:

haha, what's not exploitative about taking advantage of ignorance?! what thought process do you think marketing strategies come from?

and people don't just hand money over to you unless there really is a demand for it. all this talk is about 'creating more demand' for chip music to make money which is conniving as fuq

What ignorance are people take advantage of? You either like chipmusic or you don't. Is someone tricking you into liking chipmusic?

Griffintown, Montréal, Québec
defiantsystems wrote:
XC3N wrote:

to gyms and defiant:

I was speaking more along the lines of doing what I do now. Writing music I want to write and performing it, that sounds awesome. But I see where you're coming from and that could be awful but would probably be better than my current job.

Yes, the fact that I (now) have a more than bearable full time job greatly reduces any incentive to try and "make it" artistically. I might not say no when it comes knocking at my door, but I'm sure as hell not going to chase it... I did at some point and I just ended up bitter and unproductive.

defiantsystems wrote:
gyms wrote:

What ignorance are people take advantage of? You either like chipmusic or you don't. Is someone tricking you into liking chipmusic?

in 2013, who isn't already aware of chipmusic who would potentially like chipmusic? read the initial post again, carefully. i have nothing else to say