Chicago IL

i realized i hadnt posted this here, and i had come up with some new stuff since i posted it on 8bc

i googled lsdj triplets and only found slorrin's pdf format's hawkfather's tutorial on how to do triplets with the G and H commands. i've been using the D command for triplets, i dunno if this is common knowledge or what, if it is, my bad.

It's basically just math. LSDJ's default groove is 6/6, which means each step is six ticks long. the first triplet is for a quarter phrase.

quarter phrase = 24 ticks (4 steps @ 6 ticks per step)
counted as 23 ticks (i'm counting 0 as the first tick because it makes the math easier to understand.)

so the four steps start on ticks 0, 6, 12, and 18.

for triplets at this groove, you need each of the three "steps" to last 8 ticks, which would be 0, 8 and 16.

luckily the delay command also counts in ticks

0 C3 ---
1 C3 D02
2 C3 D04
3 -- ---

check that out, its a triplet

that's because we're starting the first step at 0 ticks, the second step at 6 ticks + 2 delay ticks, and the third step at 12 ticks + 4 delay ticks.

for a half phrase triplet, you're fiting 3 steps into 48 ticks. 48/3 = 16 ticks per "step" . needing a note on ticks 0, 16, and 32. so if we put in

0 C3 ---
1 -- ---
2 C3 D04
3 -- ---
4 -- ---
5 C3 D02
6 -- ---
7 -- ---

we have one note on tick 0, one note on tick 12 + 4 delay ticks, and one note on tick 30 + 2 delay ticks.

incase you actually want to do a full phrase triplet it would be 96 ticks / 3 =  32 ticks per "step", steps needed at 0, 32 and 64

so that would just be

0 C3 ___
1 __ ___
2 __ ___
3 __ ___
4 __ ___
5 C3 D02
6 __ ___
7 __ ___
8 __ ___
9 __ ___
A C3 D04
B __ ___
C __ ___
D __ ___
E __ ___
F __ ___

0, 30 + 2, 60 + 4

here's the formula to remember for "on the go" or "experimentation"

(Ticks x Steps) / 3 = triplet length in ticks
also another thing i realized since posting this, is that you can just use
D00 / ---
D02
D04
D00 / ---
on the entire phrase, put down your notes where you want them, and then get rid of the D commands you aren't using. in each groove, what ever groove it is, the first four steps will be the same for all 16 steps, no matter what length notes you want to use (1/16T, 1/8T, etc.)

now here's where i'm gonna give tips about triplets for other grooves:
this trick will not work for all grooves. the amount of ticks in four steps MUST be divisible by 3. for example:
5/7 will work, because 5+7+5+7= 24.
so the command chain for that would look like this (with a note every 8 ticks)
D00 / --- 5 ticks
D03    5 + 3 ticks = 8, +4 remaining ticks = 12
D04 12 + 4 ticks = 16
D00 /
reversed (7/5)
D00 7 ticks
D01 7 + 1 = 8, + 4 remaining ticks = 12
D04 12 + 4 = 16
D00
(this is all done in my head without a gameboy right now so it might be off, but it should only be off by 1 tick)

something like 3/4 or 4/3 wouldn't work, because 3+4+3+4 is 14 ticks. but if your groove was 3/4/3/5, it would be 15 ticks, making triplets possible on each 5th tick.
D00 3
D02 3+2 = 5, +1 remaining =6
D00 6+4=10
D00 10th tick
because the last step takes up 5 steps, and the first one starts at 0, you only have to place the Delay command on the 5th tick, which is 2 ticks after the second step, because the first step is 3 ticks.

7/8 = 7+8+7+8 = 14+16 = 30 ticks.
D00 7 ticks
D03  7+3 ticks = 10, + 5 remaining ticks = 15
D05 15+5 = 20
D00

just note that you don't have to use any of the D00 commands, it's just put there to make the spacing obvious

i'm not going to go through a bunch of different grooves here. if you can operate a calculator you can figure out whether or not you can use this on a specific groove setting.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Nice!  Really helpful.  I was messing around with the D command for triplets the other day and it's very helpful to see it explained like this. Thanks.

Thanks for this, I can see this being very helpful in the near future big_smile

KC

bad thing about this is that it eats up the cmd column so now you can't add other cmmds like E or F

Chicago IL

you can use a different instrument without a note instead of an E command, or use an instrument with automated tables for F commands.

or you can just not use triplets, whatever

babylon

why bump this after two years to say this? did i miss something? but uhhh. . . ive always used delay commands for triplets as well. i hate fucking with groove if i dont have to.

edit: depending on bpm i found retrig can sometimes work too. or well placed hops in the table. i'll use anything before messing with the groove setting.

Last edited by walter b. gentle (Jun 17, 2013 3:34 am)

KC

because maybe you want a repetitive instrument like a snare but with changing volume? or maybe after two years this thread still has good info in it?     

but uhhh..........

Skrotch you saying a diff instrument with all the same setting except for the envelope at a lower volume without retriggering the note by leaving that step with the new intstrument blank?

babylon
Grymmtymm wrote:

but uhhh..........

are you mocking me?

NC in the US of America

I remember last year i was checking out some songs on here from years past and saw saskrotch lamenting the general lack of triplets in this communi yat that time. Then I found this tutorial and started using triplets, so thank you saskrotch.

Gosford, Australia
Grymmtymm wrote:

because maybe you want a repetitive instrument like a snare but with changing volume? or maybe after two years this thread still has good info in it?

this is when you would use grooves instead

anyway D commands are great but so are grooves and this thread got me thinking about how you could run pentuplets over triplets over straight 8ths and it's doing my head in, cheers!