Hey, sorry if there's already a thread like this but I was experimenting LSDJ when I came to the conclusion that it was kinda boring.

Now I wasn't expecting a game or anything, I just feel as though it's not quite as immersive as other instruments.
It's a rather tedious program to use.

Is there any way I could set up a midi keyboard to use with LSDJ, or maybe any other chiptune programs?
I use a mac so I can't use famitracker, and I assume midines is out of the question.

California, USA

Look into an arduinoboy. You can get a kit or a preassembled one here: http://xiwielectronics.com/collections/all

I think that is what you are looking for.

Last edited by Dark Oyster (Jun 17, 2013 11:55 pm)

Dark Oyster wrote:

Look into an arduinoboy. You can get a kit or a preassembled one here: http://xiwielectronics.com/collections/all

I think that is what you are looking for.

Thanks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
yiannerz wrote:

Hey, sorry if there's already a thread like this but I was experimenting LSDJ when I came to the conclusion that it was kinda boring.

Now I wasn't expecting a game or anything, I just feel as though it's not quite as immersive as other instruments.
It's a rather tedious program to use.

Is there any way I could set up a midi keyboard to use with LSDJ, or maybe any other chiptune programs?
I use a mac so I can't use famitracker, and I assume midines is out of the question.

A synth isn't quite the same as a traditional "instrument". Using a Game Boy with a tracker can be likened to composing but not playing an instrument.

That said, there are lots of great options for using the Game Boy as a module that can be played with a piano keyboard, but you'll get a lot less powerful sound shaping. A system like the C64 has some quite nice sounds even when very little advanced synthesis is employed but personally I feel that the basic waveforms of the Game Boy are often pretty plain without something to shape them.

I'm sure you'll be able to make up your own mind on this but I you'll find that if you use it with a keyboard and mGB - a piece of MIDI software for the Game Boy - that you'll want to run it through an effect unit of some sort to give it some more unique and interesting sounds.

Here's my top 3 list for playing a Game Boy like an instrument in terms of ease of use and compatibility with modern music tools:

-mGB with the MIDI-USB adaptor.
-mGB with an arduinoBoy
-LSDJ-keyboard

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jun 18, 2013 1:29 am)

Unsubscribe

I think every option for playing the gameboy via a midi keyboard sounds about 1/10th as good as getting deep into the guts of programing using LSDJ or nanoloop. You might want to chew on what you actually want to do before spending a bunch of money getting something to work.