Matthew Joseph Payne
Dark Oyster wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

Auxcide does.

An electribe?

Yep.

Here's a video from the last 8bitSF where he triggered his electribe with arduinoboy midiout mode to play drums for a neutral milk hotel cover, sung by Together We Are Robots and myself.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 … mp;theater

I also used one for years in an old band called Tensegrity Nine, before I started doing chipmusic with any seriousness, but I didn't really ever sync it with anything. Loved it though, sturdy machine, excellent live.

Last edited by kineticturtle (Jun 17, 2013 8:58 pm)

California, USA

Alright, I think I'm set on getting an ESX-1. I just wanted to come here and see if anybody had complaints about them or knew of any better alternatives. I did look at the mc-303 and it looks useful but I think I could use an electribe better. I'm hoping that I can get one used for a little cheaper than normal...

Last edited by Dark Oyster (Jun 17, 2013 11:53 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dark Oyster wrote:

Alright, I think I'm set on getting an ESX-1. I just wanted to come here and see if anybody had complaints about them or knew of any better alternatives. I did look at the mc-303 and it looks useful but I think I could use an electribe better. I'm hoping that I can get one used for a little cheaper than normal...

The ESX-1 is a bit easier to learn, a bit smaller and you can squeeze better sound out of it but the MC-303 is dirt cheap. tongue

IL, US

if getting an esx-1, try to find the sd card version, way easier to deal with than the smart media cards

California, USA

Yes, I've heard that the smart media ones can be a pain. I did consider either an older electribe or a mc-303 but I feel just holding out for an ESX-1 would be better. It seems more versatile.

Matthew Joseph Payne

The ESX-1 is the machine I had. It was wonderful, despite being a smart media unit.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Dark Oyster wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

Auxcide does.

An electribe?

Yeah an ES-1 MKII, as you can see in the picture.

The smart media cards are HELL to work with, definitely hold out and spring for the newer SD one.

San Diego

Rockman uses a gameboy and electribe together pretty well. Has a few vids on his youtube page.

California, USA

So actually I think I'm going to be cheap and get a tr-505 instead. tongue It's got midi capabilities and sounds decent enough so whatever!

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
Dark Oyster wrote:

get the sd, the esx-1 uses smart media, the sd version supports a 32 gig card.  Youll want the extra storage and the new patterns/samples are really good.

I heart mine, try making your own single cycle waveforms, classic sampler sounds.

Mobile, Alabama, USA

I have the EMX. I absolutely love it. I've tried a lot of gear, and I always go back to the EMX. It's limited. It's a pain in the ass to program sometimes. Everything it does can be done in a DAW for less money and less time invested. Thing is though, once you put in the time to really learn these machines, they are very, very powerful and fun to use. The limitations that make them not as good on paper make for an intuitive and creative workflow.

If you're only getting one machine, I'd say go for the ESX, make sure you get the SD model. Also, change the tubes! Replacing the stock tubes makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the sound. replacing the tubes also changes the character of the onboard effects (especially the reverb) from "crappy, distorted mess" to something very unique and useful. There's plenty of info online about how to do it and what tubes to buy. I got mine from a site called eurotubes I think, highly recommend.

Deejay Cutman has one at his apartment that he's had for awhile. He shows me old beats he used to make and I'm like "yo, rock that"

that's pretty much the end of my story tbqh

washington
kineticturtle wrote:

what i'm really wondering is how auxcide is dodging diabetes so successfully

London

I have an ES-1 Mk2, but don't really use it live. I find the way it works for programming melodies slightly annoying. I keep it because it helps me test maxYMiser.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

diabetes can't touch me

washington

tried to post 'u can't touch this' by mc hammer

but bbcode is sorcery

Last edited by basspuddle (Jul 31, 2013 4:46 am)