Tempe, AZ

I'm looking for some good books, websites,blogs that can get me started in Photoshop and illustrator. I'm also looking for some good resources for designing 16/8-bit sprites and backgrounds. Thanks in advance

Montreal, Canada

[elitist] Just like you don't do chiptunes in Ableton if you want it to sound authentic, you don't pixel push in Photoshop. Real men use GrafX2. [/elitist]

smile

Tempe, AZ

I use microsoft paint honestly. I'm just touching on different topics. Thanks though. Imma gonna check that program out!

EDIT:I'm checking it out. I love it!

Last edited by TeddyBearCedenski (Jun 20, 2013 7:56 am)

Montreal, Canada

Yeah it's fucking brilliant. I don't know if you ever used old school art software like Deluxe Paint back in the 90s, but this is pretty much the natural evolution of it. It's also 100% free, open source, and constantly updated. I know a few people who use this almost exclusively over anything else.

Tempe, AZ

Right on man. Whatre good resources?

**Can a mod move this thread to the Graphics Area  for me?***

New Albany Indiana

I found MSPaint for windows xp the best.

Tempe, AZ

Thanks guys, what I'm really looking for are good sites and or books that cover 8-bit sprites and design.

Minneapolis

I don't think you'll find much in the way of actual tutorials and such for 8-bit sprite design. That's very much a DIY and learn-it-yourself kind of area. When I need to be drawing things for work or for play, I tend to look at other people's work for a long time, study it, maybe even copy it a few times, before I begin my own. Maybe try that?

Last edited by arfink (Jun 20, 2013 9:04 pm)

United Kingdom

I find eBoy a good source for pixel art. No tutorials specifically but it can give you a good idea of 2D/3D sprite illustrations, angles and colour palettes.

This book is brilliant, from robots to human faces all in delicious pixels. smile

NC in the US of America

This is what I always think of when somebody says "Pixel art tutorial"

http://www.yarrninja.com/pixeltutorial/

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 20, 2013 9:37 pm)

Tempe, AZ

Thanks for the resources so far

Tempe, AZ

anymore anyone?

Tempe, AZ

bump

Boise, ID

try Aseprite.