Robotcity, the year 20XX

http://chipmusic.org/men+of+mega/music/hybrid-fora

So like almost every chip artist in the world we submitted a tune for the chip = win 2 compilation. However, we got rejected the hard way. That is absolutely ok of course, but I'm just curious what this song is missing. Is it too unce unce unce? It is too weird? Is it just not progressive enough for today's scene?

Your CC please.

East Kilbride, Scotland

They had 140 submissions for the 51 places on their compilation. Don't you think it might have just come down to personal preference rather than something being wrong with your music? The song is fine, it sounds like early Firebrand Boy and I'm sure it would be a crowd pleaser in a live setting. If anything, I'd be glad to not be a part of chip=win, those guys are an embarrassment to chiptune. They write like 5 year old girls discovering emoticons for the first time.

You got rejected along with at least another 89 artists, move on and get over it.

#toughlove

Seattle, WA

My only comment is that this thread has a terrible title.

Montreal, Canada

Well the melody doesn't do anything for me, but that's personal taste more than anything else. When the beat gets going it gets much better. Overall the song is quite okay. The only thing is that it sounds like three million other gameboy tracks out there, but yknow.. that's doesn't mean the song is bad at all. To me all DMG stuff sounds like it's put out by the same guy anyways. In fact, that is my theory. This entire forum is just one guy with 800 accounts tongue

And I have to agree with Sycamore, who gives half a flying pink polka dot fuck about chipwin? It's a shitty compilation of bad songs. Make music that you like, and put it out there. That's all there is to it. Don't let nobody dull your sparkle darling.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

Haha, thanks for the comments guys. I just fucking hate getting rejected: it makes me think that I'm doing something wrong. So I thought I just throw it out there.

Good point about the crowdpleaser part Sycamore. That seems to be our thing: our releases don't do a lot but during our live shows places get wrecked.

n00bstar: about the "it sounds like three million other gameboy tracks out there": haha, damn, mission failed big_smile

Sorry for the title of this thread: I am a dumb foreigner.

Montreal, Canada

Hahah well like I said, it just all sounds similar to me. In a way, all chiptunes do I guess. That's why I find fun and catchy melodies are important. It's especially true for "limited" platforms like DMG and NES where the basic palette of sounds is pretty narrow.

Sweden
Men of Mega wrote:

Is it too unce unce unce? It is too weird? Is it just not progressive enough for today's scene?

If the goal with your musicking is getting on the "chip = win 2" compilation, you should be asking its curators these questions. We would just give you answers based on incompatible definitions of those properties.

It's good to learn early on that until you know exactly what you are doing, no one likes your music more than you do.

Men of Mega wrote:

I just fucking hate getting rejected: it makes me think that I'm doing something wrong. So I thought I just throw it out there.

If you think that you are doing something wrong, you have to carefully examine what standards by which what you're doing is being judged. If they are not your own, and if you find that you disagree with them, they're not a good source of motivation. If you "fucking hate" getting rejected, you'd better look for alternative sources of motivation, because people will dislike your music, and some of those people might be curating a compilation you want to join. Find a standard that you are comfortable with and for which you have some level of personal control. You have to know yourself what is right or wrong not to be anxious about it.

Last edited by boomlinde (Jun 28, 2013 11:15 am)

Robotcity, the year 20XX
boomlinde wrote:

If you think that you are doing something wrong, you have to carefully examine what standards by which what you're doing is being judged. If they are not your own, and if you find that you disagree with them, they're not a good source of motivation. If you "fucking hate" getting rejected, you'd better look for alternative sources of motivation, because people will dislike your music, and some of those people might be curating a compilation you want to join. Find a standard that you are comfortable with and for which you have some level of personal control. You have to know yourself what is right or wrong not to be anxious about it.

You're completely right. I dunno, I've been doing this for 3 years now, did a lot of shows, made a ton of new friends... The frustration comes and goes: this weekend we played a show with a crowd going berserk and crowdsurfing and stuff and the next day I feel all insecure about my music (not necessarily about a compilation, but also because you fail in getting booked for certain shows for instance). That is how it has been going for years now.  I guess it is human (I hope).

Gosford, Australia

fwiw, since andrew kilpatrick is helping curate the compilation now i expect a pretty dramatic increase in quality compared to the first
imo at least. i usually agree with his opinions!

anyway yeah, a lot of song does just sound like generic LSDJ to me. i think it's the basic sound design letting it down; there's a lot of empty space in the arrangement and it's all centered so the mix has a lot of empty space as well. there are some really cool and unique sections though, 1:49-2:12 is actually amazing imo, you could definitely write whole songs like that and they would be really gorgeous like falling for a square but faster haha.