Central Pennsyltucky

Hey All,
If you remember WAAAAY back to last year, I was taking a survey and working on a
cheap way to do a YM/AY based hardware chip synth. Well ...
It's done and released!

Info and sample video is here:
http://www.straytechnologies.com/ym_min … -released/

I'm selling 10 completed units to raise money for the kit PCBs, and
Started taking pre-orders on the kits.

It's fully midi controllable with 3 channels of square (Left, Right, and Centered), and a Noise Channel that
Also works Left, Right or Stereo. Most of the crazy envelope effects are available via Midi CCs (Continuous Controllers).

It's set up for Midi via USB for ProTrekkr, or zTracker, or a slew of Midi sequencers like FL-Studio or reaktor (pretty-much anything that speaks Midi).
Let me know what you think!

Tokyo, Japan

Awesome news! I shall be bagging one of the kits in the very near future. Thanks soooo much for doing this.

Bronx, NY

Keep up the great work, Wil!

Tacoma WA

woah leet shit

ad-hell-aide

awesome work vblank!

San Antonio, Texas

woah!! Do want!

Middlesbrough, UK

kisses!

I most certainly will get one. Will there be the option to buy the synth assembled once the initial run of ten has sold out? I attended electronics classes for three years but damaged my projects and equipment around me so badly I don't feel confident with a soldering iron. I'd buy one now but I've just bought a load of new gear, so am out of money, on top of which the volcanic ash issue has totally fucked postage which I wouldn't want to risk with an $85 item.

Bristol

just wondering aloud, but will there be a 'stand alone' version that doesn't need a PC/mac to run? Still, it looks like a sweet ass piece of gear, I'd love to get me mits on one at some point

Central Pennsyltucky

@Stevens: I can usually be bribed to do full mods, or completed kits anytime.  When you add it all up.. the 10 "fund-raisers" are all of the labor of the build for  US$7.50 each. I can't do that all the time, it's just my way of offering-up for people who can't afford cool tools all the time... trust me, I know.

@liquidpinappleeatingtvdude & all: A lot of folks bitch about this whole "FTDI cable" thing I do in my designs: Why pay $20 extra for usb, when it could be built in for $16??  Your question is the answer...YES!
I plan on an external module that does direct 5 pin/ din midi and power that plugs into the 6-pin FTDI header. My other option was make it really expensive stand-alone and include everything, or do it one-at-a-time.
I currently expect that module just after the next synth I'm working on, as they'll share that design. Maybe August or September?

ad-hell-aide

The great thing about the FTDI cable is that you only need one; ie.you could have several different chip synths of various types and only ever use one at a time.

Also; it's always handy to have power and data from the same connection smile

Bristol

That's awesome. I don't disagree that everything should be kept simple, just for my own selfish needs as I don't run a laptop in my setup, but love the sound of this little thing mwah smile great job smile

Sounds great, I'd definitely be up for getting one when hardware real midi option module is avaliable (or plans for it if it's relatively simple?!

Nice work!!

Melbourne, Australia

party

Central Pennsyltucky

Whoah! I found the original thread!
I know a few people were looking for the YM_MINI Synths I did, and I thought I ran out last year. Turns out I found seven kits in a badly marked box from when I moved!

There here: http://www.straytechnologies.com/produc … izer-kits/.

Here's the original demo vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbTZQ5kNF-c

You'll need an AY or YM chip. There's a bunch on eBay and Andy's Arcade has the AY's if you're in Europe:
http://www.andysarcade.net/store/index. … ductId=574

I'll do another "give-back" discount for the Chipmusic.org members, since you always support my crazy projects and VJing:    $10 off for the full-built or $5 off on the kit, if you PM me or email me directly here.

Plantation, Florida

Thank you so much.