Chicago IL
pivot. wrote:

Saskrotch has a point. I dont know if by artist he means chiptune artist. If thats the case, then im no artist. Im a visual artist, yes, but when it comes to 8bit music, im still a wanna-be.

I generally meant people who make sure other people know they think of themselves as artists

.FILTHadelphia

If you have to ask you probably don't have it. I understand getting writer's block or seeking inspiration to press on but if you can't find the time to drum up the motivation to even start learning then you don't have what it takes to write music. Stick to painting, you don't need to do it all.

Andromeda's Black Hole
Alpine wrote:

Is the general consensus that this is just a poorly disguised "give me attention" thread or what?

I'd say i disguised it pretty well.
in all seriousness, though, I don't see why we should keep talking about this. I've come up with a plan to incorporate chiptunes into my visual art, and we'll see how it goes from there. thank you for your advice, though. nice reminders always help.

Andromeda's Black Hole
Saskrotch wrote:
pivot. wrote:

Saskrotch has a point. I dont know if by artist he means chiptune artist. If thats the case, then im no artist. Im a visual artist, yes, but when it comes to 8bit music, im still a wanna-be.

I generally meant people who make sure other people know they think of themselves as artists

but they HAVE to know, man. Otherwise my nerd glasses and Polaroid camera make me look like a poser!

NC in the US of America

If you do all the tutorials that are available out there, then eventually you'll have gone over lsdj "as a whole". With any type of music, you pick up bits and pieces here and there. Nobody, no single resource is ever going to give the WHOLE picture of anything. There will always be something that is missed that you'll have to discover through alternate means. Everybody has to go through that process. There are no shortcuts.

You should, instead of trying to learn lsdj specifically, study up on sound design principles in general, and then apply that to LSDJ, so instead of trying to figure out how to come up with a good sound, you'll be trying to figure out how to make the good sound that you've already come up with in your head on LSDJ.

That way you are still learning things that will be beneficial to your usage of LSDJ, but you won't have the frustration of being totally lost in a see of numbers and letters.

Or try something new like HivelyTracker, Klystracker, Deflemask, OpenMPT, Renoise, Sound Club, Muse score, FLStudio, 1Tracker, Protracker, whatever. I highly recommend Beepola if you just want to make music without having to fiddle around with sound design and stuff.  ^_^

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 4, 2013 4:39 am)

babylon

how to regain the passio(nnnnnnnnnn)

i think u meant
"how to *you regain".. ^

shanghai

This is retarded.
I mean, I always wanted to be great on a skateboard.
But after skating for 6 months i didnt progress too much
i couldnt force myself to go out and skate because i preferred just playing videogames
in the end i realized i didnt have much desire to skate beyond the idea in my head that i wanted to be good at it but couldnt really be arsed and didnt enjoy it.
So i started making music instead.

washington

^exactly. you can't make yourself have a passion for something, that makes no sense at all.

stick with what you dig, and keep your gameboy around in case you feel like composing. that's what i do.

England

you should move to berlin.
from what i hear eveyone there wants to be an artist.

UK, Leicester
noisewaves wrote:

weed

+1

Downstate wrote:

This is retarded.
I mean, I always wanted to be great on a skateboard.
But after skating for 6 months i didnt progress too much
i couldnt force myself to go out and skate because i preferred just playing videogames
in the end i realized i didnt have much desire to skate beyond the idea in my head that i wanted to be good at it but couldnt really be arsed and didnt enjoy it.
So i started making music instead.

I did exactly the same thing. After spending such a long time, and still not being able to ollie properly, you kinda loose the will to skate/ live

I know it's already been said, but try using a different piece of software. I downloaded one of the demos of LSDJ like 2 or 3 years ago because I wanted to make chiptune music, and afaik at the time, It was the only way to make chipmusic (it's what 8bc does to you) but I found it so hard to use, there was so much, and it made no sense. I stopped using it after a day and a half, and kinda stopped doing anything ship for ages. I was bored, and wanted to do an 8bit + piano cover of a song, and came across famitracker, downloaded it, loved it, and now I use it. I have LSDJ as well, and it makes a lot more sense because some of the skills are transferable.

Gosford, Australia

just make stockwave. passion not necessary!

Turku, FIN

New gear

San Diego, CA

A good thought experiment to do a la Saskrotch: describe what you do without using the word "am" and see how far you get while the statements are still true.

"I am a musician"

Vs

"I make music"

Chances are that if you keep calling yourself by your identity rather than what you've done, you'll end up just being an identity

Unsubscribe

Also: its ok if you arent into it anymore, keep finding stuff you are into.

NC in the US of America

I learned to ollie after about 10 years of trying to figure it out off and on. Turns out I was just trying to do too much at once, trying to ollie too high without really having the mechanics of it down. It also helped to watch somebody else do it in person.

In the time I spent trying to figure out how to ollie I saw old 70's skateboard footage and I was like "Wow If I can't skateboard in the air, that ground stuff looks pretty cool and fun" so I loosened my trucks, learned how to bert slide and pump, and acquired a longboard. I also happened across an old skateboarding instruction manual from the 70's (I forget the title) in a friend's storage unit. It really brought back that sense of fun and freshness that I felt when I first started all those years ago. And I eventually figured out that ollie stuff after all big_smile