Earth

Love it. It would be cool if someone made a way to render stuff like this in lsdj, or into lsdsng files. FM modulation, or hard sync would be cool too.

herr_prof wrote:

iirc there was a html editing tool that let you draw waves and export a lsdsng file?

Only thing I've used is this app (dont remember it working super well): http://calmdownkidder.com/lsdj/wav.html

BOSTON

wow, seriously great work! not just a thorough explanation but also well put together video and good tune. i know a few people have played with this concept (animal style has a tutorial from a few years ago that covers the basics of the concept), but talking about the possibility and actually mapping out all the frames by hand are completely different things. major props to you sir.

i have a feeling that this is going to be something that gets saved as a template and passed around on .lsdng files because everybody is way too lazy to do this all for themselves XD

I went experimenting some with this tutorial, drew some frames that had 2 cycles of sine, and 1,2,3,4 and 5 cycles of square (more or less)
That way you  can play different notes over the base sine, without being restricted to just octaves.
it kinda works, it sounds nice when it's just the wave, but trying to add harmony with the other channels is hard because it's kinda out of tune wink

made a small vid to show the principle, sorry for the crappy sound and vertical video syndrome

Anyway, lots to explore!
Now i'm gonna draw a frame with 2 sines, a square and 3 sawtooth

maybe even a triangle.

(edit: just saw Nitro's reply... what he said wink )

Last edited by Timbob (Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm)

Detroit

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

Madriz, Supain
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

i have a feeling that this is going to be something that gets saved as a template and passed around on .lsdng files because everybody is way too lazy to do this all for themselves XD

¿Please?

Im already tempted to do that with my own lame instruments...

SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

¿Please?

Im already tempted to do that with my own lame instruments...

It's already in the opening post...

Nomad's Land

Nice tutorial, your voice is really pleasant to listen to. I hope that one day it will be possible to automatize this tedious work in LSDJ. Come to think of it, it's kinda funny how LSDJ can mix 2 samples on the wav channel, but not 2 simple waveforms Theoretically even more polyphony should be possible when combining multiple frames.

Also @nitro come on, don't be a wuss. almost everybody hates their own voice when they first hear a recording of it. wink

Detroit

you are the chiptune asmr

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've used this in LSDJ and and Protracker.

Here's a tip for creating more complex soundwave combinations. Using software like audacity, draw or generate two waveforms that you wish to combine. You can play with combining different waveforms, amplitudes, frequencies, etc.

Once you have two or more waveforms simply highlight them all, open the Tracks menu and select Mix and render. It will additively combine each waveform. Now simply draw [an approximation of] these interesting new shapes into LSDJ! Works best with simple waveforms, as these can be replicated more accurately in LSDJ.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jul 12, 2013 6:36 am)

NC in the US of America

The most I've done with type of thing is getting an octave. Wow. I kind of knew itt was possible from listening to that triangle overtone that we love so much, not to mention random failed experiments with "ugly" results of annoying overtones, haha. One mans trash, I tell ya.

This is awesome. Congrats.

Somebody in irc (what's that?!) Said this isn't really a proper type of additive synthesis because its making the brain here two sounds instead of one.

Dallas, Texas
irrlichtproject wrote:

Theoretically even more polyphony should be possible when combining multiple frames.

This might be true in some limited form. I can imaging someone might try sacrificing volume for more head room and putting 2 separate octave squares on one frame instead of one like I'm doing, but there is this annoying little thing called exponential growth that I suspect would make it a nightmare to manage and implement.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Jul 13, 2013 6:20 am)

NC in the US of America

But can it wub?

sweden
irrlichtproject wrote:

Nice tutorial, your voice is really pleasant to listen to. I hope that one day it will be possible to automatize this tedious work in LSDJ. Come to think of it, it's kinda funny how LSDJ can mix 2 samples on the wav channel, but not 2 simple waveforms Theoretically even more polyphony should be possible when combining multiple frames.

nanoloop has always had a waveform mixing function, but only sine waves though.

Been dreaming of something similar for lsdj for years but with your own customized wave forms. Would be really cool!

Last edited by nordloef (Jul 13, 2013 1:18 pm)

Cleveland, OH

I will probably never take the time to use this but it is very cool!

Dallas, Texas
SketchMan3 wrote:

But can it wub?

big_smile YES!

Awesome stuff man! I enjoyed the video. As a beginner I've been completely neglecting the wav channel. That has to change like now.  Also, I subbed you on youtube! Number 50 woot woot!