Russia

Hello friends. I've got a problem. Today i try to insert second chip to my commodore and have very big problem. After soldering everything i see that my original sid (8580 sid) is quite. Second sid have external power and it sounds(6581 sid). I think that it's problem with power, because my c64tpc didn't work to (it takes power from commodore). What can it be? Need your help.

Could be a lot of things smile
Do you have a multimeter? So you can check if there's power at al..
Does the rest of the commodore work? (Image, input)

Russia

Commodore works and mssiah fully load. Multimeter - it's time to buy you) picture will be tomorrow but all capasitors looks normal(( tomorow i'll try to add external power for original sid and watch.
Now i fully work with second chip 6581.

Boulder, CO

I had the same problem and it ended up being a blown fuse so luckily an easy fix.

Edit: The serial issue might be completely different. The SID gets 9VAC from the PSU from what I remember and this wouldn't affect serial functionality.

Last edited by AdamGetsAwesome (Jul 13, 2013 10:48 pm)

Russia
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

I had the same problem and it ended up being a blown fuse so luckily an easy fix.

Edit: The serial issue might be completely different. The SID gets 9VAC from the PSU from what I remember and this wouldn't affect serial functionality.

What blown fuse you find?

Boulder, CO
stress_tn wrote:

What blown fuse you find?

From what I remember it was a fuse on the 9VAC line inside the power supply.

Russia

not on board? in power supply?

Russia

today I replaced original capacitors and it still not work. Serial work, dont work my c64tpc inside commodore because it hasn't got power from board (one of red dot was power for c64tpc)

Last edited by stress_tn (Jul 14, 2013 3:54 pm)

reject of nintendoage

8580 needs 9v, 6581 needs 12v. so you'd need a voltage regulator.
there was a tut in the mssiah forum for installing mixed generation sids, but it's been down right for a month.

Russia

I added external power for second chip. I think that problem was in power supply, tomorow I'll buy fuse for it.
MAy be some body know, where can I take 9v for second sid (for the future)

Last edited by stress_tn (Jul 14, 2013 5:07 pm)

Russia

Need your advice! I found bad fuse in power supply it's 6 Am. In shop I found 4Am and 10 Am what should I insert into power supply?

Boulder, CO
stress_tn wrote:

Need your advice! I found bad fuse in power supply it's 6 Am. In shop I found 4Am and 10 Am what should I insert into power supply?

If you don't want to risk ruining the chip I'd say try the 4A. 4A actually still seems a little high, I think the fuses in my PSU were 1A or 2A.

Russia

Yep! I made it! Changed fuse resolve the problem. I use 4A and it works! Adam thank you!
I need to know, where I an take 12v inside commodore.

Boulder, CO

Glad it's working! Unfortunately, I'm not sure there will be anywhere to get 12V inside a c64 meant for an 8580 SID without some extra circuitry.

Russia

Show of working commodore https://www.dropbox.com/sc/2ubqqalyysxc5xc/6bCBdTZuMD