Hello!
I did a little video tribute to Steve Reich and his phasing... Phase.
It's his classical piece 'Clapping Music' done on a Roland TR-626 and TR-505

Just wanted to share it here.
Is it chip music? I dunno. It has chips and low resolution samples..
And I'm going to circuit bend them after this, so there you go.

Enjoy smile

Unsubscribe

i like it.. mega relaxing for some reason... and faithful to the ori.

sweden

Cool!

Madriz, Supain

I like those machines. I want one.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Do they make any other sounds?

Thanks big_smile
no, those machines only clap.

Youngstown, OH

Sick. Loving this recent wave of chip/electronic artists drawing from contemporary classical thinkers

NC in the US of America

I guess you have to be familiar with the original piece to enjoy this? I don't get it... Is there some kind of technical feat that is being accomplished here that I'm missing? Or is this simply just a clapping sequence mapped to drum machine and nothing more? Am I not supposed to listen with headphones?

I feel like I'd probably enjoy a live "human clapping" version better. I do think it's cool that this is a classical piece, though, and apparently an effort well appreciated, so... good job. It was just too long for me to be able to really get into just the rhythms of a single type of sound. sad

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 16, 2013 5:37 pm)

Unsubscribe

Desc. explain the idea of the piece.

NC in the US of America

Ah, see now that explains why I couldn't get the proper feel from the drum machine performance. Needs music hall reverb tongue. Anyhow, great job. An admirable tribute. I like all that stereoy stuff that's going on.

It's kind of like what happens when I play back my midi transcribed version of a song that has a non-rounded BPM, big_smile.

It is quite a monotone feat indeed, I grant you that.
I really enjoy Reich's phasing pieces. Drumming being one of the best, but hard to do on a drum machine...

So I thought I'd start with an easy one smile

The piece does sound better with real clapping, the tiny variations in the sound and the hall reverb does add a lot to the sound.

A version like this really shows that music isn't just the sound of the music itself.

It was still fun to do tho big_smile

Unsubscribe

you might play with slaving two midi drum machines to the same clock and then make something in max or pd that can delay the clock sync x milliseconds to play with the phasing in the midi domain. Or use a delay pedal set to 100% wet big_smile

If you have 2 machines that sync without a cable, you could start them at the same time, have one running at 1 bpm faster, and at the same speed again when a phase forms for a while.

Two gameboys stay in sync quite well at the same bpm without a cable, but those Roland machines are out of sync in less then 6 bars...

London, UK

Love the original, love this. Great stuff.

(By coincidence, I was thinking the other day that you could do a mean cover of Reich's drumming where all the drum hits are sliced from classic/iconic/cliched breakbeats such as the amen and programmed in Milkytracker. Happy for someone else to do the hard work though!!)

Very cool. Respect