Sweden

(From 8bc)
As some of you may know, the virtual pop- band Gorillaz released their third full length album in march 2010. I have of course listen trough the album, but as with their previous album "Demon Days" I were quite disappointed. You see; Gorillaz's self- titled debut album from 2001, was the first "real" music album I bought. I was eight years old at the time and have loved it ever since. The reason of my disappointment after listening to Demon Days and now Plastic Beach is the lack of the dubby- pop sound (Starshine, Soundcheck (Gravity), Tomorrow comes today, etc.) that I fell in love with in 2001.
So to the question: does anyone know of any bands/artists who plays/makes this kind of pop- dub- electronica, similar to the sound of Gorillaz's first album?

lolusa

google trip hop.
look up Blur while you're at it (don't care for them)
and..WAIT close this thread!

IL, US

listen to stuff produced by dan the automator then (since he produced the first gorillaz record) smile
dr. octagon "dr octagynecologist", deltron 3030, dan the automator's "a much better tommorrow", lovage "songs to make love to your old lady by"

lolusa
e.s.c. wrote:

listen to stuff produced by dan the automator then (since he produced the first gorillaz record) smile
dr. octagon "dr octagynecologist", deltron 3030, dan the automator's "a much better tommorrow", lovage "songs to make love to your old lady by"

oh man...Lovage... heart

astral cat

you might like older DJ Shadow, the new stuff isn't as good in my opinion. check out the songs Organ Donor and High Noon smile

Last edited by an-cat-max (Apr 1, 2010 1:42 pm)

Sweden

Thanks for the response! I will check out these artists.

Bristol

big shout for Deltron 3030, that lp was like Gorillaz before Gorillaz. Plus it has Kid Koala doing DJ work, he's my (and my mums) favorite DJ.

IL, US
liquidcalm wrote:

big shout for Deltron 3030, that lp was like Gorillaz before Gorillaz. Plus it has Kid Koala doing DJ work, he's my (and my mums) favorite DJ.

kid koala rules, especially live..hes also part of lovage, the whole group wore sleep attire live, in his case footie pajamas

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

del the funkee homosapien, deltron 3030, is a bit later in his career, if you liked clint eastwood and rock the house, those were both rapped by del, this being a chip music site, might i suggest "proto culture" by the homosapien himself.  A 90's fakebit rap about videogames, surely looked over by "the scene"

San Francisco

2001 gorillaz = decent.

anything later sux.

Last edited by wedanced (Nov 18, 2021 12:21 am)

Austin, TX
liquidcalm wrote:

even though 3030 is badass....it was slightly later, and way better.
also K-K-K-K-KID KOALA was the best live dj i have ever seen by far...and he was opening for cut chemist n DJ shadow

IL, US
Princess wrote:
liquidcalm wrote:

even though 3030 is badass....it was slightly later, and way better.
also K-K-K-K-KID KOALA was the best live dj i have ever seen by far...and he was opening for cut chemist n DJ shadow

im jealous you saw cut chemist and dj shadow, and im rarely one of the guys saying that

IL, US
DJCactus wrote:

del the funkee homosapien, deltron 3030, is a bit later in his career, if you liked clint eastwood and rock the house, those were both rapped by del, this being a chip music site, might i suggest "proto culture" by the homosapien himself.  A 90's fakebit rap about videogames, surely looked over by "the scene"

the reason i recommended 3030 was that it shared an MC and the producer from the first album, so it sounds way more like the first gorillaz album than del's other stuff

Washington DC

Might want to try and look up other trip hop stuff as well. Off the top of my head I suggest Portishead, FlyKiller, Massive Attack, Tricky, etc.

Central-ish VA
Dauragon wrote:

Might want to try and look up other trip hop stuff as well. Off the top of my head I suggest Portishead, FlyKiller, Massive Attack, Tricky, etc.

I very very much second Portishead and Massive Attack.  Go for the albums Dummy and Collected respectively.

Beck?

Last edited by lovesick_byson (Jun 10, 2013 6:09 am)