Portland, OR

http://tonightwelaunch.bandcamp.com/

Just put a 3 song EP up on my Bandcamp. It's free!

Florida

I like this a lot! Catchy tunes dude.

Portland, OR

thanks!

TSSBAY01

i saw these posted on another forum and was coming here to post it. i dig it but in the future turn the guitar UP!

Portland, OR

You think the guitar's too low? Hmm. I was worried about it drowning out the game boy. Thanks for the input!

What other forum was this posted on, by the way? I've only put it up here and one other place so far, it's cool to think people might actually be sharing it!

Last edited by jerkemy (Jul 19, 2013 9:25 pm)

TSSBAY01

yea man, i mean, ive got a sound reference thats got a lot of 6"s and 4"s and piezo tweeters, and a 15" for a sub...i think the guitars coulda been louder in the mix, but one thing thats helped me out when recording guitars and chips is to really stack as much 1-4k midrange on em as possible. it takes a little of the need for distortion in the gain stage which can help in recording to a computer and makes it pop more.

chiptune stuff is probably the hardest electronic stuff to mix guitars with, because when you have stuff thats really dynamic frequencywise, a lotta times with chips, you are best off maybe halving the volumes of those higher notes to sort of manually pad or compress the dynamics. not a ton, not always halving either. a good example of this working against the music is the way if you were to take a sample and play it at ridiculously high hz, you'd hear those undertones or semitones of notes in there with whatever you were trying to hit, if it was like a c that was 8 octaves or 10 octaves up in those super high registers, you'd usually hear the other note louder. i think across the board, when you're using sinewaves that it reacts this way unless you're interpolating the sound. so because of music being really dynamic naturally with higher and lower notes, when you have an instrument like a guitar that you strum instead of really hitting, a percussive instrument with a more consistent register sonically, the note comes through, but sometimes it will lack the definition because its sort of the same idea, you've got a note that naturally decays but if you dont have the right amount of midrange on it, then those higher parts wont cut through.

i hope what i said makes sense and doesnt sound like im critiquing, its definitely not that. your friend said you're in another band and this is more of your sideproject and of course i dont know how you went about recording the guitars. but its certainly enjoyable for me, i sort of feel like i can crank it tho and the guitars arent coming up. if you ever want to talk about recording and guitar stuff feel free to hit me up on irc. i can send you some tss stuff i've done over the years and we can get into some tricks for recording if you got more stuff in the pipe and want some assistance.

TSSBAY01

it was on a private board, your friend lauren shared it. hasnt been any other replies really so far but one guy asked about how to get into chiptune, i told him the basics, referred him to cm.o too.

Last edited by tempsoundsolutions (Jul 19, 2013 11:37 pm)

Portland, OR

Thanks for the input. I definitely don't take it as negative criticism. I didn't put nearly that much thought into recording the guitars; the whole pathway was SM57 -> 4-channel mixer -> line in on my computer -> Mixcraft. I had these songs done and really wanted to just get them out there. I basically did all the recording no-no's like using headphones to mix, etc. I don't mean I don't think it's worth it to analyze it that much, just that this time around, I didn't.

I do have a bunch of other songs that are recorded but still need vocals, talking about recording sometime would be cool!

Chicago, IL

I'm definitely digging the guitar tone! I didn't think it was too low though.

NC in the US of America

I'll have to give this a spin tomorrow night. TSS is into it and the artwork reminds me seiklus so it must be something of value big_smile

Jackson, MI

This was a pleasant surprise! Good job, everything sounds very solid.

西安

Love love love!! Playing this on my radio show right now. heart

Montreal, Canada

Your rocket has pubes.

Also, solid release. Really liked it. I think the guitars are mixed in just fine for the most part, it's cool to have the chips in front of the guitar for once.

Portland, OR

Thanks! Hey, viciousitaly, you're in PDX too? What's your radio show?

西安
jerkemy wrote:

Thanks! Hey, viciousitaly, you're in PDX too? What's your radio show?

From PDX, go to school in Walla Walla. My radio show (which is chip-themed) is Saturdays at 1pm on KWCW.