rochester, ny
float.bridges wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

It's not synesthesia but when I memorize the pitches of the random things that make noise in my daily life. Like, my old alarm clocked beeped a G# so whenever I hear a G#, I can immediately recognize it. Same with the beep that the touch screen of my cash register. Or whenever I hear a D, I think of the first note of the West Wing theme song.

That sounds a lot like perfect pitch! big_smile

It's more like good pitch memory. If someone said, "sing a C", I couldn't do it.

matt's mind
float.bridges wrote:
kitsch wrote:

wasn't there a synesthesia comp or something like this?

if there wasn't....  all you synthetes get together and make a ROYGBIV album (if you can even agree, i'm sort of thinking its a subjective experience from the sound of it, rather than all A-440 = blue always, or something...)

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/5743/ … fox-split/
Was it that?

that'd be it!  so, no comp, a split instead, but still wink

I can sort of taste notes, when thinking of what to write I tense up my lips and contract them much like I do when I play trumpet and trombone. Often I can "taste" a melody then play it back perfectly on horns, so I guess it's kind of under the umbrella.

Texas
thebitman wrote:

I can sort of taste notes, when thinking of what to write I tense up my lips and contract them much like I do when I play trumpet and trombone. Often I can "taste" a melody then play it back perfectly on horns, so I guess it's kind of under the umbrella.

Right on. Is there a flavor? Or is the flavor the flavor of the note? (Sorry if this question hurts to read, ahaha)

Youngstown, OH
float.bridges wrote:

Is their anyone on the forum with different kinds of synesthesia?

I have a little bit of visual synesthesia. Notes start to become like bubbles in my field of vision when listening to/composing music. When playing an instrument sometimes it helps me to line up what I'm playing to these bubbles. Sometimes it's dangerous, like while driving. haha

Music also sometimes sounds like color to me, too. Composers like Debussy and Ravel sound like washes of floral colors, composers like Schoenberg and Webern sound like black and white, many of my favorite band have a red or deep purple/green color to them.

Also, its usually about here I have to elaborate that I have never done any drugs, other than drinking.

Kyle, Tx

I have ignored this topic till know because I just downloaded the software called synesthesia So I was checking it out to see if you were patching chiptune instruments in the program. When I freeplay on the piano or another instrument I hear the next note audibly in my ears. The familiarity with the instrument is how well I can play and most flutes (especially ocarina) and keyboard I can hear it and my mathmatical understanding of how the keys play allow me to replicate that note. Its a lot harder in LSDj though. I can hear the note I want but I have to cycle through notes and thats disruptive. I dont know the music scale so I am trying to learn it right now in hopes to use this ability in chiptunes and thats where I truely struggle.

California

i thought i had synesthesia once but then i realized i was really high on a few substances.

sleepytimejesse wrote:
float.bridges wrote:

Is their anyone on the forum with different kinds of synesthesia?

Music also sometimes sounds like color to me, too. Composers like Debussy and Ravel sound like washes of floral colors, composers like Schoenberg and Webern sound like black and white, many of my favorite band have a red or deep purple/green color to them.

Also, its usually about here I have to elaborate that I have never done any drugs, other than drinking.

this sounds familiar to me though before any of the substance abuse

Last edited by AuburnKitsune (Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm)

Texas
AuburnKitsune wrote:

i thought i had synesthesia once but then i realized i was really high on a few substances.

but forreals.... i always wished i did. it sounds like the raddest thing

Well, not that I'm encouraging it, but LSD can cause visual synesthesia! Like, permanently.

California
float.bridges wrote:
AuburnKitsune wrote:

but forreals.... i always wished i did. it sounds like the raddest thing

Well, not that I'm encouraging it, but LSD can cause visual synesthesia! Like, permanently.

.....haha :s

Brunswick, GA USA

I'd hate to be blinded by the sound of my own instrument.

Finland

OK OK OK. Get this guys... I can hear... Music!

Isn't *that* amazing?

Youngstown, OH
chunter wrote:

I'd hate to be blinded by the sound of my own instrument.

It isn't so much blindness (at least not in my experience) as it is a cross-over of information to the visual part of your brain, with some perhaps hallucinatory effects. In particular I think it makes memorization stronger.

Lots of great composers had synesthesia. Alexander Scriabin in particular had a strange but wonderful case.

When I was younger, I had a sort of "synesthesia" with certain numbers, but all I can remember are the colours I associated with years, 1993 is red, 1995 is gold... I used to remember the other colours but it's gone now  - I've never had it with music though. I read somewhere that it's more common in young children and you can grow out of it.

Brunswick, GA USA

Oh, I was thinking more like the deaf lady in Heroes.

Kyle, Tx
my.Explosion wrote:

Isn't *that* amazing?

The purpose of my post was educational. I provided my method of musical interpritation for comparison and contrast.

If you were attempting to make a fool** out of me I am sorry you see it that way.

** this word has been cencored.

Last edited by IndigoChild (Jul 26, 2013 8:44 pm)

Finland
IndigoChild wrote:
my.Explosion wrote:

Isn't *that* amazing?

The purpose of my post was educational. I provided my method of musical interpritation for comparison and contrast.

If you were attempting to make a fool** out of me I am sorry you see it that way.

** this word has been cencored.

I'm not. It was a silly joke. :I

*hangs head in shame*