TX

This is my new EP (or 11-minute song, if you prefer). The description says:

The Black Gate is where contradictions - high fidelity and low fidelity, dark and light, minimalism, maximalism, repetition, variation, simplicity, complexity, fear, love - converge and resolve themselves.

How silly!

buy/stream: http://brotherandroid.bandcamp.com/album/black-gate-ep
download for free/stream: https://soundcloud.com/brother-android/black-gate

UPDATE: 3.5" floppy disks now available on Bandcamp!

Last edited by Brother Android (Jul 22, 2013 2:00 am)

clovis CA

so psyched to hear your new stuff! big_smile

ohio gozaimasu

Hell yeah! This is nice!

NC in the US of America

I really enjoyed your video game stuff and the winter album "October November December"(? I think I got that right). Kept me feeling chill throughout the summer. smile

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you've done these days. By the way, what do you call the style of music that you do? It has such a distinctive vibe to it that I've heard in the music of other artists, but I have idea what to call it. Somebody said it was IDM but I don't know...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 2, 2013 6:40 am)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 9:27 pm)

TX

thanks guys.

@SketchMan3 - I think it might be IDM, I'm not really sure. I've never been quite clear on what lands something in that genre but what inspired me to make electronic music in the first place was all either video game music/tracker music or somehow under the IDM umbrella (Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher. I don't really think my music has much of an IDM feeling but I'm sure there's plenty of influence present that I'm not conscious of.

nice work, reminds me of green beret for some reason wink

TX

Thanks. Yeah, I can see it. Hadn't listened to it in a long time, but Green Beret is a great track.

TX

3.5" floppy disks are now available! Each one has a unique hand-drawn label and contains the original .xm file for the song.

Get one here: http://brotherandroid.bandcamp.com/merc … loppy-disk

aren't they pretty?

Last edited by Brother Android (Jul 22, 2013 2:03 am)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:13 pm)

TX

Just a few pixel-art renditions of some of the covers I drew, nothing too fancy... I can e-mail them (along with the module for the song) to anyone who doesn't have a floppy drive but wants a disk as an art object/square mini-frisbee/whatever.

Ordered one. These are absolutely magnificent.

Opening the "Releases" forum and seeing a new Brother Android release is squee-inducingly awesome.

"In Death a Dream of Color" is the closest chipmusic has to its own tour de force, and in that album it was really interesting to see how your sound had evolved since previous work on, say, OctNovDec, and now with Black Gate it's cool to see how you've evolved it even further, adapting and refining a sound that was already unique.

TX

@MegaMantra - thanks; "tour de force" is probably the nicest thing anyone's ever said about a thing I've done... and it's cool that I have a sound.

@Idio - glad you think so. I worked hard on them but in many ways the odds were against me - I can't draw, they're floppy disks, etc - so it's good to hear they're cool. I sent out the first round of them today, so I hope yours gets to you okay.

Incidentally I've unfortunately had to raise the shipping costs... nothing preposterous, but it turns out the USPS will not in fact ship a padded mailer as a large envelope, which makes a big difference when sending overseas. Sorry everyone.

Mine just arrived (made my day). First time I've had to use a floppy drive that wasn't a 1541. I don't agree with you about the artwork being bad; it fits the starkness of the EP very well.

I'm looking forward to future releases by you.

TX

Great! Glad it lived up to your hopes and dreams and also that the disk didn't melt in the mail/get confiscated by the government/mysteriously erase itself.