KC

Hey Guys Im running LSDJ on BGB on my laptop (do this for composing) and I'm having a panning problem, seeing if anyone knows about this or what to do.

my song has a couple different instruments hard panned opposite sides of each other (bass-L pulse-R)  but then I occasionally throw in some O commands in the phrases to get some automated panning.

when I'm listening on headphones everything is fine and works great but if I plug my laptop into my keyboard amp some of the notes that are hard panned to one side just cut out.

it's a 4 channel keyboard/pa amp and I'm using a 1/8th" --> RCA splitter cable to plug the laptop into my amp.

Haven't put the song on a cart yet so I don't know if it will do that while being played through actual DMG hardware.

Ideas?

is this an emulator problem or because I'm sending a stereo panned signal to one single speaker? shouldn't it just come out mono since the amp has only one speaker?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Grymmtymm wrote:

Hey Guys Im running LSDJ on BGB on my laptop (do this for composing) and I'm having a panning problem, seeing if anyone knows about this or what to do.

my song has a couple different instruments hard panned opposite sides of each other (bass-L pulse-R)  but then I occasionally throw in some O commands in the phrases to get some automated panning.

when I'm listening on headphones everything is fine and works great but if I plug my laptop into my keyboard amp some of the notes that are hard panned to one side just cut out.

it's a 4 channel keyboard/pa amp and I'm using a 1/8th" --> RCA splitter cable to plug the laptop into my amp.

Haven't put the song on a cart yet so I don't know if it will do that while being played through actual DMG hardware.

Ideas?

is this an emulator problem or because I'm sending a stereo panned signal to one single speaker? shouldn't it just come out mono since the amp has only one speaker?

It's almost certainly one of two things:

-Phase cancellation
-improper routing

If the amp is a mono output device then it's possible that you're feeding it two signals that are cancelling out (left and right from the game boy being mixed into a single output).

If you unplug each side and listen to just the individual channels, does everything sound correct for that given channel? If yes, probably some sort of cancellation.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jul 29, 2013 5:22 pm)

KC

will try that next.

I admit my setup doesn't make for the best home studio.

the amp isn't mono output [if you run its signal to something else like a pa] but since the amp itself has only one speaker what you hear from the amp alone is mono.

it's a 4 channel keyboard/pa amp that has individual L/R inputs and outputs for each channel

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/K3000FX.aspx

Last edited by Grymmtymm (Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm)

New Albany Indiana

Try using head phones only, if the problem goes away then it has to do with your routing.

NC in the US of America

Yes it is a problem with putting a stereo signal into a mono amp. Try it with two amps and see what happens.

Antwerp, Belgium

I think this might have to do with the adaptor you are using, not the mixer. If the adapter is mono 1/8" to RCA all it will do is take one of the sides. I have the exact same problem when I plug my gameboy into guitar effects pedals (which have mono output). See if the 1/8" side of your adaptor has 2 or more rings.

KC

too bad I don't have two amps.

Gosford, Australia

have you got any way to send a mono signal to the amp? mono TRS cables (e.g. 1/4" guitar leads) should do the trick. a mono 1/8" to 1/4" adapter should work too

Last edited by Victory Road (Jul 31, 2013 3:51 pm)

KC

that's what I was using actually.

had an 1/8" -->RCA adaptor coming from the laptop's headphone output plugged into one of those rca--> 1/4" cables plugged into my amp.

just tried listening to it with each of the rca outputs connected alone and then both together but same problem either way.

then I plug my headphones into the computer and the panning is all good.

Gosford, Australia

ditch the RCA connectors tbh. stick to TRS and check that all your cables and adapters are mono.

or you could find a way to make the laptop/emulator output in mono, if there's any software that'll let you do it easily.

NC in the US of America

see if your computer has some kind of DSP settings that might be able to mix your audio to mono. One of my old computers had that. Soundmax4pnp or something like that.

Also, I wasn't trying to be rude about the two amps thing. But I'd highly suggest that you did acquire a second amp if you are able to (or if you happen to need a second amp for something unrelated to this even better). It opens up a lot of fun possibilities for how you present your sound.