washington

i'm fairly new to the scene, i only discovered it about a year and a half ago. but even though it's only been a short time since i've known about its existence, i've gotten really stoked on the idea of chipmusic as a whole. a couple months ago, i went to my first chip show, and it was absolutely amazing. and it got me thinking-what exactly goes into putting a chip show together? a few questions stuck out to me the most:

how are artists chosen for the show, and how are they contacted about the show?

how is the venue contacted, and how are ticket prices figured out?

generally, what is the venue willing to provide? (e.g. sound system, projector, lights, people to operate systems, etc)

i couldn't find any topics on the forum about it, and i wasn't sure if it was similar to how conventional artists/bands put shows together, so i thought this might be a good discussion/source of info.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, and thanks in advance yo!

England

i dont think that it is any different to any other show.

just remember to be an unorganised as possible, cram as many artists into as little time as possible, dont allow for any change over time, cut everyones set short, make sure the sound system is shit and cannot cope with heavy square bass.

oh and also make sure that the venue owner only listens to rock music and thinks that any kind of electronic music isnt real music so that he closes the venue an hour before he told you he would, cutting everyone elses set short and making sure that at least one artist doesnt get to play.

oh and make sure that the sound guy doesnt know how to use any of the equipment or doesnt know how to do the sound for an electronic music gig.

Last edited by Jellica (Aug 5, 2013 8:09 am)

basspuddle wrote:

[...] and i wasn't sure if it was similar to how conventional artists/bands put shows together, so i thought this might be a good discussion/source of info.

[...]

Aha.

U serious?

IL, US

yeah, like jellica said its basically just like any other gig for the most part except that the venue employees are more likely to be openly dismissive of your music and/or not know how to mixer it properly for their sound system.

Tokyo, Japan

I had a bit of an a typical route into running shows. I would most certainly not suggest trying to do it the way I did it. However, Ive (co)run a few shows over the last 3 or 4 years.

basspuddle wrote:

how are artists chosen for the show, and how are they contacted about the show?

Combination of the following :

Is the artist good? Is the artist doing something interesting / unique / different? Is the artist easy to work with and reliable? Is the artist in or able to get to Tokyo? Do I know the artist personally? Do I have a lot of similar artists on the bill already?

Then I just send out an email, explain who I am / what I do / what I can offer the artist and see if they are interested or not and go from there.

basspuddle wrote:

how is the venue contacted, and how are ticket prices figured out?

Email the venue, go in for a sit down, explain what numbers you think you can pull and why. In my experience venues tend to be pretty bottom line focused, provided you can pay / cover what they need at the door they should be cool. Ticket prices are based on finding a happy medium between what you need to cover your costs and what your local market will bear for the line up you are offering.

basspuddle wrote:

generally, what is the venue willing to provide? (e.g. sound system, projector, lights, people to operate systems, etc)

Perhaps I have been lucky but the two venues we usually use provide all the above. Both have fucking great sound systems, highly competent staff and lighting / projection set ups which are fine. If you are at a venue and you aren't happy with the sound system / staff / price / whatever walk away and don't put on a show there. In my opinion, no show is better than a crappy show which leaves you with a foul taste in your mouth.

A couple of other thought on running shows from what cheapshot and I have learned over the shows we have done.

1 - Don't bite off more than you can chew. IE, if you cant afford to take the financial hit of the show being an absolute calamity attendance wise, don't put on the show.

2 - Remember you are a customer at the venue and, they should treat you with respect and be a good business partner, if they mess you about, don't deal with them again.

3 - Reputation is pretty massive with running shows, do your best to treat artists with respect, give them information they need well in advance of the event (set times, soundcheck times, change over times, stage plot, merch situation etc). Respond to mails as quickly as you can, keep people updated.

4 - On the flip side of that coin, if you aren't getting what you need from a performer, tell them politely that you need x,y and z from them or the relationship isn't going to work, if after however long you feel is reasonable to wait and you still aren't getting what you need, politely withdraw your offer and don't work with said performer.

5 - Bear in mind running events has a huge number of variables and things will definitely go wrong. Try to anticipate as many problems as you can (bring extra batteries, cables, duct tape, adaptors, power strips anything you can think of) and deal with the ones which blind side you as calmly and effectively as you can.

Unsubscribe

^ Great advice

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

~takes notes in diary~

San Diego, CA

a little addendum: checking out the venue (by attending a show that isn't related to your craft) before opening relations with their staff is super underrated imo. most of the venues that I've organized shows for (which is, sadly, like 2) have had good shows that I've attended before, so I trusted their sound system and their staff to run things smoothly.

also note: unless you're super huge and popular, you probably won't get the day you asked for, as most venues are REALLY protective of their weekends. the weekends are usually reserved for the artists that the venue themselves want to book, or artists that have a good local following so they can make monaaaayyyyyy

my first couple of shows were attended by all of like 5 people, but I was able to get more shows based on (I think) the fact that I showed up like an hour earlier than the sound guy and the fact that I was really easy to work with. so if you're convinced that your show is going to bomb attendance wise, show them that you're at least capable of running something and they'll have you in mind for future dates. but also keep in mind that chiptune is a niche of a niche, which means that the burden of proof is on you to prove that it's music worth hearing live, as most venue booking guys won't be familiar the aesthetic and cautious toward having more chiptune shows put on.

washington

thanks everyone for the advice!