los angeles

mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … amp;t=4254

washington

i like where this thread is heading

Chicago IL

oh awesome ilkae got cut off for an ironic george michael cover

montreal, qc

this thread is so good and so heading for the graveyard.
i had a bad string of technical difficulties that delayed my set, shit happens.
it would have been cool if i could have finished my last track, but i can't blame the other performers for wanting to stick to a schedule.
if anyone was looking forward to hearing it, here's a run i did in my living room after i got home:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236 … T-run4.mp3
i imagine i'll take it down in a day or two.

i love you ilkae

Chicago IL

well i guess we know who to yell at
https://soundcloud.com/bryface/careful-shouting

los angeles

what a hoeboy

vancouver, canada

hey guys, just wanted to chime in briefly.  for the record, yes, i was playing after him.  second, ilkae told me that he would be sharing just one song from his set that would take only 4 to 8 minutes, to make up for hardware issues that persisted for at least an hour (requiring xc3n to stall a long time and eventually for kris keyser to pre-empt ilkae).  this was all communicated between he, i, and the other organizers for maximum transparency.

i know that ilkae's fans (me included, btw) wanted to hear at least a chunk of his set, so i can understand the vitriol for the people who were expecting a full set, and i can totally see how it seemed that i just cut him off or something.  if i remember correctly, he was fading out to end his set and i was trying specifically to do whatever i could not to interrupt his sound (including turning off my outputs until he had completely faded out).  if a startup sound leaked out prematurely during his set then it was a legitimate mistake and i totally apologize for that.

for my part, i was trying to do what i could at the event to respect etiquette for other performers (including things like respecting set times for other artists).  depending on what ilkae wants to do, i'm going to do what i personally can to see about carving out time for him to play more of his set tomorrow if he wants.

all i can say at this point is that i'll definitely keep trying to learn how to improve that in the future.  that said, if you still feel the need to ram a hate train through my body, do what you need to do.  i'll keep it in mind next time.

P.S. that careful shouting track was an april fool's joke, so if you want to dump all over that, fair enough.

montreal, qc

it's seriously no big deal. the technical problems were on my end.
today set me back about 80$ in cab rides and drinks so i think i'm gonna pass on tomorrow. my set's out there for those who wanted to hear it.

IL, US

you motherfuckers need to learn to chill and not speculate about things you don't know the details of. fuck's sake.

los angeles

all's forgiven, eternal set is live http://agargara.com/ilkae/

Last edited by breakfastsquid (Aug 10, 2013 9:31 am)

Yes, all is forgiven. I don't think most of us were really hating, we were just disappointed about missing ilkae's set and needed to cheer ourselves up.

Anyway I changed the ilkae page to play the live set he linked above. Enjoy!

montreal, qc

it's possibly worth noting that i was not on the e-mail list regarding the details for load in / sound check (12 hours before my set time), nor was i informed that my set time had been moved from 1:00 to 12:40, the prior time having been communicated to me one day earlier by toycompany.

the technical problems were twofold - first, i wasn't able to draw enough power off of the main to keep my usb audio interface online. whether this is due to extra equipment being left on stage vs. when i sound checked my gear at 5pm or something else, i don't know, but you learn something new with every show.

after rebooting with only my sound card plugged in, a poorly timed windows update locked up my computer for 20 minutes. roughly 20 minutes into kris keyser's set it occurred to my that it was because it was being violently jostled onstage. after cradling it for roughly 30 seconds, it finished, and i was able to set up my gear just fine after unplugging some surrounding equipment.

the changeover from kris keyser to me took place at roughly 1:43am. when asked how long my set was, i told bryface that it was 25 minutes, and we had a misunderstanding due to the noise on stage. he seemed concerned so i played the first 12 minutes of my set, and then faded out so that i could cue up my last track to wrap up the set. at 1:59am, precisely the time my set and kris keyser's would have concluded according to the schedule last communicated to me by toycompany, bryface started up his set overtop of the second half of what would have been my last track. my truncated set would have ended at 2:03.

for what it's worth, people at the venue weren't so hot on the non-squarewave tracks and it was probably to the ironic benefit of all other artists that my set was delayed and truncated to under 16 minutes.

thanks for the offer to contact toycompany on my behalf, but there's really no need. i simply can't afford to give it another shot, nor do i feel like people would really understand what i do anyways after seeing the audience reaction tonight.

absolutely no one party is at fault here, it was the result of various lapsed communications, on-the-fly stage decisions being both made and misheard, technical difficulties on my end, and lastly just general bad luck. not every live show is a winner.

Last edited by ilkae (Aug 10, 2013 9:48 am)

vancouver, canada

hey ilkae,

that definitely helps me understand where you're coming from - i mistakenly interpreted your slow fadeout as trying to gracefully truncate your set, which i had evidently misheard as 4 to 8 minutes.

please accept my sincere apologies for the misunderstanding.

Tokyo, Japan

Well that turned out better than expected! Bryface and Ilkae both seem totally chilled and groovy with everything and it looks like it was a genuine misunderstanding. Lets close this happily resolved thread shall we?

Great job team!