Nashville, Tennessee

hey,

after much fiddling i'm here asking for yo gabber kicks!

i can't seem to make a good one.

perhaps you will have better luck than i.

thanks!

))<>((

edit: lol. I fail.

Last edited by tacticalbread (Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm)

A gray world of dread

Remember that the original gabber kick is just a 909 (sometimes 808) kick with guitar overdrive or distortion applied to it. On a gb you should probably be able to synthesize that on a pulse channel, although you could just use a sample on the wav I guess. If you want to synthesize it, you should make the pitch attack section fall off slower than you would normally do for a kick. Most gabber stabs are usually that way, and depending on the sound you're aiming for, you'll have to adjust the initial pitch (ie fall-off depth).

The second thing is that they tend to change waveform in the sustain/decay section (could be emulated with a change in pulse width a tick or two later). If you're working on the wav channel, try hybrid waveforms between sine and square/saw (a spiky sine will usually give it a better bottom with the saw elements providing the buzzy top).

Sorry that I can't give you any more specific tips, I never worked with LSDJ or NL. Hope this helps anyway smile

Edit: Ah another thing. I often hear pulse kicks on GB that don't stop decreasing pitch all the way through. Especially for gabber stabs it's important that the sustain/decay section stays on pitch with the rest of of the track. The more fuzzy (uhm.. the more top range it has) your waveform is, the more it'll clash with the rest of the song if you don't do that.

Last edited by µB (Mar 24, 2010 7:16 pm)

Nashville, Tennessee

appreciate it, thanks for the tips. apparently nitro2k01 is working on a tutorial for kicks so it should work out!

Milan, Italy

best pulse kick ever:
Note: C-6
Envelope: F3
Wave: 50%
Sweep: 64
No tables.

..i usually use tight wake kicks in my songs.......
.....but when the pulse kick starts... IT'S ALWAYS TOTALLY MADNESS. LOL.

look this video from 7:20. The pulse kick comes in at 8:10. Awesome. ahah.

PS: I was really drunk that night.

Last edited by arottenbit (Mar 25, 2010 1:27 am)

Nashville, Tennessee

dude! thats EXACTLY what im looking for! thanks bud!

In LSDJ, use P1
Wave form 50%
envelope F2 or F1 (F2 is better for the effect you want)
change the sweep to 64 (fiddle around with these parameters)
set the note to C5 or C6

smile

Last edited by L-tron (Mar 25, 2010 3:52 pm)

lolusa

I've been using tables for pulse kicks. Set them on both channels and set the phase high. Shit gets mad baller.

Malaga, Spain
arottenbit wrote:

best pulse kick ever:
Note: C-6
Envelope: F3
Wave: 50%
Sweep: 64
No tables.

Awesome kick!

I use essentially the same kick in my projects. This is a more refined one.

Milan, Italy

essential and powerfull. big_smile