Madison, Alabama

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

I have some projects I did in Sonar (drum machine, synth, guitar, vocals, etc. etc.)

I am trying to add LSDJ parts to these projects, but the BPM drifts pretty badly (Sonar gets slower than LSDJ, pretty quickly--after a few bars.) 

I exported all the tracks to .wav and loaded them into Reaper, and sure enough, the song gets out of sync in Reaper as well.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this?  I think LSDJ is very stable as far as BPM goes, so I assume it's an issue with Sonar, but I can't figure out what is causing it.

Any ideas?  Searching the net hasn't turned up anything useful (yet).

Madison, Alabama

This question could be re-phrased as "LSDJ doesn't sync with the BPM of my DAW, halp."

I'm not using a device to sync LSDJ with the computer--I was hoping just setting the tempo and lining things up with an initial count-in click would work, but the drift between the two BPMs is completely horrendous. Any tips?

Do I just need to get some sort of device (new nanoloop cart w/usb-midi) to sync LSDJ?

Milwaukee, WI

Actually, I think the error in BPM consistency is on LSDJ's end.  Danimal mentioned on his blog that he had to do a lot of timing fixes by recording LSDJ in clips for his latest remix.

Madison, Alabama

I'm not so sure... If Danimal was exporting from an emulator, like BGB, then I have noticed BPM drift, but I've recorded tracks (like on my disco.txt album) which were separate LSDJ recordings of the same game boy, and had them line up perfectly with no problem.

LSDJ on hardware seems pretty stable, is what I'm saying.

Emulated LSDJ is much dodgier, tempo-wise, from my experience.

[Edit] Or maybe I have one really stable DMG cpu, haha.  (It still doesn't stay in time with Sonar...Unless it's Sonar that isn't staying in time, which may indicate an audio driver issue...or something?)

Last edited by roboctopus (Aug 22, 2013 12:02 am)

buffalo, NY

this is a picture of me editing my files every few measures to get them back on track.  HAVE FUN.

Unless you have that shit MIDI synced it's gonna drift.  I actually programmed my song a few bpm too slow because it lined up better.

Last edited by danimal cannon (Aug 22, 2013 12:10 am)

Milwaukee, WI

Haha man, I have no idea then.  Maybe your separate recordings from the same GB were just indicative that your GB was in tempo with itself. tongue

Madison, Alabama
danimal cannon wrote:

this is a picture of me editing my files every few measures to get them back on track.  HAVE FUN.

Unless you have that shit MIDI synced it's gonna drift.  I actually programmed my song a few bpm too slow because it lined up better.

Fuck. That's too much work. I'll get one of those nanoloop carts with USB sync whatever and put LSDJ on it.

Thanks for the horrible truths! tongue

Chicago IL

yeah i definitely had to do that in ableton with this remix i did of one of my old LSDJ tracks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hECnDZSqdv8)

it was even harder cause there's like 2 tempo changes in it.

Madison, Alabama

Has anyone tried the MIDI-USB adaptor Oliver sells on the Nanoloop site?  I've read it might work with LSDJ, but I have not read that it does for certain.

buffalo, NY

Dude, it's not that bad.  Maybe I'm just mega practiced at it from editing drums.  Now THATS a nightmare.