Los Angeles, CA

Keep in mind that lot of small devices employ a faux-surround effect to make their tiny speakers sound bigger than they actually are. They achieve this by using a type of phase inversion that pushes the mix out wider with science. THIS WILL FUCK YOUR MIX if you use a similar effect in production (It will invert your inversion, undoing it entirely), or if you have a lot of phase-able duplicate material overlapping itself (It will sound ghostly and out of place). I first noticed this on my macbook.

Mannheim, Germany
EvilWezil wrote:

Keep in mind that lot of small devices employ a faux-surround effect to make their tiny speakers sound bigger than they actually are. They achieve this by using a type of phase inversion that pushes the mix out wider with science. THIS WILL FUCK YOUR MIX if you use a similar effect in production (It will invert your inversion, undoing it entirely), or if you have a lot of phase-able duplicate material overlapping itself (It will sound ghostly and out of place). I first noticed this on my macbook.

devices with faux-surround effects can burn in a fire

Germany
Orange Creamsicle wrote:
EvilWezil wrote:

devices with faux-surround effects can burn in a fire

since you dont use effects, they would probably make your stuff sound better.

montreal, qc

Always, always, always check your final mixes in mono.

Dallas, Texas
Auxcide wrote:

So what I ended up doing was:
-Master gameboy (center)
-Slave gameboy (center)
-Master gameboy slight pan to the right a miniscule amount of time after (center) master
-Slave gameboy slight pan to the left a miniscule amount of time after (center) slave.
(Both with less volume)
example
Through mono it sounds like a really short delay effect. In stereo it makes the audio wide. I (personally) like how it came out.

If I'm not mistaken what your are implementing is called The Haas Effect. It is a dangerous game sometimes if you don't know what you're doing. 

I like your track btw.

Chicago IL

I've actually started doing this on purpose to punish people listening to it through shitty devices. Like certain instruments will just disappear if you're listening through laptop speakers (depending on how close together they are), and especially through a single mono speaker.

Nottingham, UK

If your song is ever playing on a shitty radio in the corner of someone's room, it's essentially playing in mono. Any time phasing cancelling occurs in a mono mix, it's going to have repercussions on sub standard stereo set-ups as well.

Also consider that clubs/bars all effectively play music in mono.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Also consider that clubs/bars all effectively play music in mono.

Although, in my experience, venues that are oriented towards electronic music seem to be more likely to have a real stereo setup.

NC in the US of America
Saskrotch wrote:

I've actually started doing this on purpose to punish people listening to it through shitty devices. Like certain instruments will just disappear if you're listening through laptop speakers (depending on how close together they are), and especially through a single mono speaker.

Nice.