Falmouth, UK

Hey guys I've been lurking these forums for a while now and I released my debut EP last week.

http://thequighty.bandcamp.com/album/th … s-dont-run

Melody driven chiptune recorded straight from 2 gameboys synched running LSDJ.

Check it out, any feedback is appreciated.

SLC, UT

Solid first release. The first track is easily the best. I'm assuming the little cover track was the first song you tried with lsdj?

Overall, what I really think would help your music are two main things:
1, Don't fall into the "wav channel is for drums trap. Truly using the wav channel for its potential will help your music sound more mature and authentic. It will help you unleash more potential out of a single gameboy so when you do 2xlsdj stuff it will truly be brutal and not come across as lazy.

2, Work on some effects/table stuff. That will help your music not have as much drone to it, you know after listening with headphones for a while it kind of sounds like you're just listening to white noise or a car alarm or something. Raw square waves do that.

But its a solid first release! Keep working, don't be content with your music. Always improve. I would stay away from using two lsdj. To me its like a double bass pedal in drumming. Not until you've mastered the single is it a good idea to go double. (Great example is wayfinder by infinity shred. Not so much technique but taste. Really works, but its not just littered in the ep.)

Also your album art was pretty cool. Sort of confused by the title, I assumed this would be a dos based release.

Falmouth, UK

Thanks, yes the cover track was my first real experience with the tracker. I have been reading into wave channel usage and using a single gameboy economically, and it is something I definitely need to start applying to my work. Working with tables to create a more broad sound scape is also something I have been experimenting with since releasing the EP but I need to keep working at it. Also the album title was based on a song title used by multiple artists named "These Colours Don't Run". Thanks for the feedback. smile

Last edited by Quighty (Aug 26, 2013 8:36 am)

Washington, PA

I like the first and last track. The cover songs one makes me wish someone had made a Reel Big Fish video game.