Washington, PA

...I finally have hit the "Oh shit, my Game Boy Pocket truly doesn't have a processor that can power all the fun stuff with LSDJ" wall.

I was experimenting with making a noise kick, wave bass and the "spacey percussion" from this LSDJguides video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAKmOepYvs) and LSDJ started really messing up as I was editing. Characters from previous screens wouldn't go away, highlights would get stuck as I scrolled and other weird anomalies. I stopped playing the pulse channel and it was back to normal.

So, it only took me about 3 or 4 months, but I think I'm about to outgrow the Pocket.

Playboy Man-Baby

Pocket's a touch faster than the DMG, mind. GBC's fine and dandy if you prosound it and give it a good mixing board treatment.

Gosford, Australia

yeah combining V, P and C commands is a pretty surefire way to get slowdown on DMG/Pocket. you can optimize that pulse drum to make it less taxing on the processor by taking away one of those commands and still achieve a pretty similar sound.

Washington, PA

I always thought the Pocket was actually a touch SLOWER than the Pocket.

Germany

the pocket is slower than itself?

Minneapolis

I'm not an expert on the Pocket, but I don't think the CPU is actually slower. Most of the problems I have had with the MGB have stemmed from the fact that it runs on AAA batteries, and starving the system of voltage is a real possibility when running comparatively power-hungry flash cartridges and such.

Washington, PA

Derp. I meant slower than the DMG.

Sweeeeeeden
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Pocket's a touch faster than the DMG, mind.

Nope. It's exactly the same. Maybe you're thinking of the SGB which is 2.4% faster. However, this doesn't do you much good. as the CPU still sees the same thing internally. It has the same number cycles to complete all writes to video RAM etc, so it will just about the same.

Only advice I can give to the OP is to optimize your song.

Playboy Man-Baby
nitro2k01 wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Pocket's a touch faster than the DMG, mind.

Nope. It's exactly the same. Maybe you're thinking of the SGB which is 2.4% faster. However, this doesn't do you much good. as the CPU still sees the same thing internally. It has the same number cycles to complete all writes to video RAM etc, so it will just about the same.

Only advice I can give to the OP is to optimize your song.

I know the sgb is a bit faster, but for some reason I thought I remembered hearing the pocket was around the same speed as the sgb. Whoopz

sweden

Embrace the limits and optimize your tables smile

Washington, PA

What exactly do you guys mean by optimizing?

Gosford, Australia

making it less cpu intensive. even if that just means running the song at a slower tempo.

i would take out that first transpose and then either the C or V command. if the pulse channel ever gets a solo you can just make a copy of the instrument with all the bells and whistles.