IL

In terms of authenticity, which one should I use? I've been familiar with FL for the longest time but I'm getting comfortable with VGM Music Maker as well. But I think I could probably do better work in FL. Will VOPM still produce authentic Genesis tracks for me? I've listened to VOPM tracks on Youtube and the quality is really nice.

Unsubscribe

Its mostly up to your sound design skills, so whatever you feel more comfortable with.

Dallas, Texas

Dang I totally forgot about VOPM! I even still had a really old release of it in my plugins folder. Thanks for the reminder. I just picked up a newer version, I like what they did with the GUI.

~~in terms of authenticity~~  vgmmm is "more authentic" for sure. you can play back songs you made in that on a real mega drive which you cant do with vopm. and it will force you to stay within mega drive limits. where as if you use vopm you can make songs with a billion channels and reverb.

but authenticity isnt the be all and end all of music so choose

herr_prof wrote:

whatever you feel more comfortable with.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

VOPM is YM2151. No comparsion to YM2612 + SN76489.

IL
sandneil wrote:

~~in terms of authenticity~~  vgmmm is "more authentic" for sure. you can play back songs you made in that on a real mega drive which you cant do with vopm. and it will force you to stay within mega drive limits. where as if you use vopm you can make songs with a billion channels and reverb.

but authenticity isnt the be all and end all of music so choose

herr_prof wrote:

whatever you feel more comfortable with.

That's what I was thinking. I could just save all my channels in VGM Music Maker separately and add my effects in FL that way. I'm pretty sure the reverb is what spiced those tracks on Youtube up.

Thanks to you and everyone else for their input.

IL
Delek wrote:

VOPM is YM2151. No comparsion to YM2612 + SN76489.

I almost forgot about DefleMask. I don't think I could get it to work though. Is it just about the same as VGM Music Maker in terms of Genesis music?

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The main advantages that DefleMask have compared to VGM Music Maker in my point of view are:
custom shaped volume/note/noise envelopes/macros for SN76489
different vibrato modes to achieve guitar like vibratos (UP only, DOWN only, UP/DOWN)
per channel order list (like Renoise, FamiTracker, SunVox, etc
rom builder included (S. ROM button)
Linux, Mac OS X and Windows builds.
support for the latest *.vgm format spec
it is not an abandoned software.

With vibrato modes like guitars I mean this:

They have different interfaces tough (a Windowish 98 interface for VGMMM and an old school tracker one for DefleMask), it is a personal choice after all.

Last edited by Delek (Sep 2, 2013 7:40 pm)

FRANCE

Yes VOPM is a totally different chip with more built in LFO and a better DAC system (not include in the chip) missing certain features of YM2612
As I always said when ask:
If you want a tracker >> Deflemask
If you want a VST >> FMDrive
If you do not know about FMDrive there is a thread in the SEGA forum.
Legendary Genesis composer of Bare Knucle (Street of Rage) Yuzo Koshiro himself uses it when needed a Vst and He damn knows well how a YM2612 should sound smile
The advantage are:
-Easy programming tricks, more than 100 parameters MIDI automatable + built in additional software LFOs (witch you have to program on the real system)
- A global rate multiplier/divider for the envelope registers
-Accurate emulation of the typical "Ladder effect" (distortion of the DAC on the Model 1 Genesis)
-CSM mode (early speech synthesis system built in the YM2612)
-Easy programming of CH3 special mode (different frequencies per operator)
-DAC tricks like waveform programming in real time.
-Import and Export .tfi
-etc

if you want to go further you can optionally switch to HD mode witch make the all FM processing High resolution and up to 96Khz pushing the aliasing limit higher then YM2612...

The FMDrive also work with the GenMDM system witch let you control the Genesis in realtime via MIDI.
The PSG is not supported by FMDrive because and entirely Vsti will be used only for it, included HBlank Timer tricks...
Here is what you can do with a Genesis...

IL
Aly James wrote:

Yes VOPM is a totally different chip with more built in LFO and a better DAC system (not include in the chip) missing certain features of YM2612
As I always said when ask:
If you want a tracker >> Deflemask
If you want a VST >> FMDrive
If you do not know about FMDrive there is a thread in the SEGA forum.
Legendary Genesis composer of Bare Knucle (Street of Rage) Yuzo Koshiro himself uses it when needed a Vst and He damn knows well how a YM2612 should sound smile
The advantage are:
-Easy programming tricks, more than 100 parameters MIDI automatable + built in additional software LFOs (witch you have to program on the real system)
- A global rate multiplier/divider for the envelope registers
-Accurate emulation of the typical "Ladder effect" (distortion of the DAC on the Model 1 Genesis)
-CSM mode (early speech synthesis system built in the YM2612)
-Easy programming of CH3 special mode (different frequencies per operator)
-DAC tricks like waveform programming in real time.
-Import and Export .tfi
-etc

if you want to go further you can optionally switch to HD mode witch make the all FM processing High resolution and up to 96Khz pushing the aliasing limit higher then YM2612...

The FMDrive also work with the GenMDM system witch let you control the Genesis in realtime via MIDI.
The PSG is not supported by FMDrive because and entirely Vsti will be used only for it, included HBlank Timer tricks...
Here is what you can do with a Genesis...

Thanks.

Is the thing plugged in the Genesis the same as the one Little Scale uses? Are those for sale from him yet? Or can I buy them elsewhere?

Last edited by genesisega (Sep 3, 2013 2:11 am)

Dallas, Texas

To Aly James and Dalek:

Still no love for the PPC mac?

FRANCE
genesisega wrote:

Thanks.

Is the thing plugged in the Genesis the same as the one Little Scale uses? Are those for sale from him yet? Or can I buy them elsewhere?

Yep, unfortunately Little Scale does not made them too often, the hardware part is based on an easily available PIC (Teensy) and maybe at some point Scale will decide to make them more often or make the firmware open source like his other projects so anybody could make is own...
You can still use FMDrive alone anyway and still got the sound + features from the YM2612 not already supported by GenMDM smile

TylerBarnes wrote:

To Aly James and Dalek:

Still no love for the PPC mac?

Not sure for PPC but MAC intel will be supported at some point next year for FMDrive smile

Buenos Aires, Argentina

It is dElek.

You couldn't run a Intel based app in a PPC mac? There's no forward-compatibility or virtualization? Try the DefleMask Intel Mac build.

Last edited by Delek (Sep 3, 2013 3:22 am)

Dallas, Texas
Delek wrote:

It is dElek.

You couldn't run a Intel based app in a PPC mac? There's no forward-compatibility or virtualization? Try the DefleMask Intel Mac build.

Sorry for the miss spelling. My buddy is a Dr. Who fanatic and my mind instantly just read it as dalek.

lol. Not sure if you've ever used a mac, but there's no way an intel labled app/vst will run on a PPC. Two completely different animals. Virtual boxes will be useless cause all the power is being wasted on getting the OS running. Any apps worth their bits will not run at a sufficient speed if at all. If you have any option to compile it into a Universal Binary then yay for us PPC users, but I understand my archetecture is dying. So no feelings are hurt over here if you can't.