Los Angeles, CA

Also:

tRasH cAn maN wrote:

Nowadays any ol' granny and her dog claims they're mastering by slapping a Waves L2 limiter on the master bus in their bedroom studio. neutral

Baaaaaaahhhahahahahahahahahahaahaha!

San Antonio, Texas

All of this has me terrified. hmm

Kiel, Germany

Here's what she wrote back in 2006 (and if you know his music you know he knows how to mix n master), on 8bc:

The beauty about '8-bit' music, is that you really do not need to master it.
If you run Gameboy, C64, Amiga or any other console setup you wont need to.
But there are others 'like me' who do alot of post-processing (adding 16-bit sounds and stuff) so a 'master' is needed.

If you're looking for a "pro" sound to your tunes you should NOT USE MONO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO MEEEE!!1!11one!!1

If you compose on your computer (no hard-sid/lsdj on gameboy) and are using more than 5 channels, you should read these steps below for a great start to a great master..
If you work with an Imported Wav or other format, and dont want to read all this shit, skip to end.

A good master begins in your tracker program (or the prog where all your sound channels are stored). Stereo imaging and Equalizer is the first two steps that will lead you towards that 'pro' sound lol. Why? For example, if your lead instrument and bas are in the lower frequencies the lead wont get that 'punch' and may get mixed up with the bas itself (if it hits the same octave). Now, imagine if you have 2 more channels with instruments in Low frequency. This is where that Stereo Imaging does MAGIC.

If youre looking for a more 'natural' sound, you may want to reduce the high frequencies on your Bas channels and Kick-drums, and reduce the low frequencies on your main-lead instruments etc.. This is really important beacuse you not only prevent the overlapping of unwanted frequencies and gain of Offset, but you improve the 'resolution' on wich you can work with later (after export to wav/aiff).

If youre working with Reverb check if your DC Offset is null on that track. This is important beacuse Reverb tends to gain alot in the 0-80hz range, so if you have an DC-Auto or Filter /EQ you can reduce that unwanted artifact. The DC Offset should be around 0 when you export or make an MPEG out of your work.

After that you need to find a way to lower those peaks and level your channels.
This is best done with a Limiter/Compressor, apply this on the channels that have those unwanted peaks. Doing so will also make it possible to gain the volume on that channel without clipping it and bring all of your channels to level.
Also, check for unwanted clipping in the 'master' before you export to your prefered non-destructive format or before you move on to MPEG.

There is so much more you could do to your tunes, but remember.. this is 8-bit music, and you dont want to ruin that Retro sound/feel. A tune straigh out of lsdj is pure gold.

--

If youre seeking the 'pro' apps in mastering i can recommend these; (lol i should have just put these in, instead of all that bullshit ;D )

iZotope Ozone - (VST Plug-in)
Sony Soundforge - (Sound editing/recording)
Renoise - (if you dont have this and are using another tracker you FAIL.. GET OUT!)

Now, take your lazy ass and get to work so you can buy all this crap!

Austin, TX

I really would like for more people to experiment w/ multitracking for chip... makes careful sonic manipulation possible.

STereochan wrote:

Now, take your lazy ass and get to work so you can buy all this crap!

or don't, please, please, please: because mastering, although really useful, is nothing that most people can't do for free with some basic knowledge, a bit of time, and a basic DAW w/ compressor, EQs, panning & reverb.   And without a stupid "mastering" plugin (same goes for "stereo imaging" plugins or anything else like that which promises to make your music sound better just by running it.)

lol @ people who think mastering is magical, or that a trained mastering engineer w/ all the "best gear" is going to make music sound SO MUCH BETTER.

also, on the subject of mastering your own tracks:  yes, you can, it's perfectly ok (unless you just have no idea what to do).  you just have to periodically cleanse your sonic palette occasionally while working (i.e. listen to something way different on a break), and be willing to take your time & take a few days break from listening sometimes.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
Princess wrote:

lol @ people who think mastering is magical...

wait, so there is no digital audio alchemy?