Michigan

Working on a saveable cartridge for the Atari 2600. It is done, but needs some PLD programming.
My current design offers 32k of addressable memory and depending on how I program the PLD, some will be ROM and some will be RAM. Maybe it will be 16k/16k and maybe it will be 4k/28k. Who knows just yet.
Joe Grant designed the original schematic for an 8-bank switchable ROM cartridge, so why not use some as RAM amitire?

OSHPark wants 16.95 for three of them which is pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

Is there anyone in the dev community willing to program a tracker to utilize the non-volatile save feature?

Michigan

Contacted Paul Slocum. Lets see what happens...

I am not big on trackers, but I am still interested in all of this.

Also, i love synthcart.

Abandoned on Fire
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Excellent.  That's probably the best move you could make.  His tracker project looks really cool, maybe this will prompt him to expand and finish it!

Michigan
rygD wrote:

I am not big on trackers, but I am still interested in all of this.

Also, i love synthcart.

Tracker or not, this is simply a flash cartridge so put whatever game you want on it. wink

egr wrote:
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Excellent.  That's probably the best move you could make.  His tracker project looks really cool, maybe this will prompt him to expand and finish it!

I hope so! Thanks for the comments.

Since there has been at least some interest in the project, please feel free to read and comment my blog post which fully details where I am with the project:
http://jazz-disassemblies.blogspot.com/ … super.html

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 11, 2013 2:27 pm)

This should def. happen.

Abandoned on Fire

Oh! Could this work for little-scale's Atari midi project?

Michigan
egr wrote:

Oh! Could this work for little-scale's Atari midi project?

The tinyduino midi interface? IIRC, the rom was tiny so yes it could. If it were a large rom, above 4kbytes, then it would have to be mofldified slightly to access the other banks.

EDIT: Yep. His rom is 4k and utilizes a teensy. Should I print other versions? I designed one which is just 4k and would be about $2 cheaper due to the PLD.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 11, 2013 4:56 pm)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Hi, sounds cool!
Is the project something like the Harmony Cart, or more basic like a 256-in-1 sort of cart? A low cost multi-cart is interesting. I have a Harmony and like the flexibility of the SD based storage, but a low cost basic cart that could store a number of roms would be a plus.
Keep us posted!
Yogi

EDIT: Ok I read your blog, so cool answered some of my questions. Will it be ram based? Interesting!

Last edited by yogi (Sep 11, 2013 6:29 pm)

Michigan

No RAM. The data you wish to store will be placed in the ROM either at a high address or low address depending.