United Kingdom

Hey one lats question what type of hydrogen peroxide should i get i know it has to be 3% but appearntly my research tells me that all hydrogen peroxide is different.

Will this one be acceptable?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_ … oxide+3%25

Minneapolis

You need to get 3%. It doesn't matter if it's chemical grade, household grade, medical grade, food grade, whatever. In fact, cheaper is better.

What I would say is, rather than ordering the stuff on eBay, go to the local pharmacy or grocery store or walmart or what have you, and ask where the hydrogen peroxide is. It doesn't matter what kind of purity it is, just so long as it's 3%.

Venezuela

woah! :DDD.... great tutorial/info here... thx thx thx

Hi there, I'm really sorry to revive a very old thread, but I have recently started to repair and restore Nintendo Game Boys to their former glory, and found this thread while trying to figure out how to remove the yellowing from their outer shells. I have several in this condition, and living in the UK, I am unable to source Oxi Clean powder from anywhere without paying obscene amounts of money. I was wondering if Vanish Oxi Action Stain Remover powder would be a like-for-like substitute? There is a link for it here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soilax-2892-V … 535wt_1344

Could someone please kindly confirm whether this is an acceptable substitute? Would love to try this tutorial and get those Game Boys all Shiny and New looking again smile

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Retro Gaming Repair - UK

Austin, Texas

I just tooled around on google for a minute and found this guide to create a homemade oxiclean substitute.

Here's a short article about active ingredients in OxiClean.

So, anything you can find with an ingredient list similar to these chemical will probably work fine.

To be safe, test it on something with an eyedropper first and all that.

I've got some DMG cases I should clean up like this as well, so I'm glad you revived the thread and asked! Good luck! smile

Last edited by Telerophon (Aug 8, 2012 8:28 pm)

Wow! Thankyou for such a speedy reply, I really appreciate it smile

Will update when i get 5 mins to look.

Norfolk, VA

sup bro

I wanted to post in here, that I'm currently attempting this method with 3-4 DMGs I have. Some are nice and clean, which I'll still attempt to clean using this method (just to see the results), and I have a few that are either badly stained, or half-and-half. I'm taking photographs of each DMG case, before and after, and I'll be posting the supplies I use and whatnot, and how much of each. You're welcome to add the information or photos to your existing tutorial if you'd like, otherwise, I'll just be creating a downloadable PDF for anyone to download for their own personal use and convenience.

Last edited by Monkeymook (Sep 1, 2012 8:10 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

yellow plastic is sexy sad

Norfolk, VA
ant1 wrote:

yellow plastic is sexy sad

wat no

enjoy your cigarette smoked plastics

edit: that's why they made yellow PILs bro

Last edited by Monkeymook (Sep 1, 2012 9:33 pm)

Austin, Texas

My Clear PIL DMG is actually yellowed, too. I hope this works on the clear plastic…

Norfolk, VA
Telerophon wrote:

My Clear PIL DMG is actually yellowed, too. I hope this works on the clear plastic…

Yes, it does.

I ended up doing mine, almost in it's entirety. When I got back inside to reassemble it, I realized I forgot to take out the connector port insert and add it into the solution. Upon comparison of that piece with the rest of the shield, there is a MAJOR difference.

Here's some pictures of the before and after:

[BEFORE]
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8181/7908 … 0965_h.jpg

[AFTER]
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8308/7909 … 6f95_h.jpg

Mine only had the slightest tinge of yellow to it, and the outside photograph didn't really do any justice, but I never realized how much of a difference an inside photo would make. I'll (hopefully) be posting the new photographs for the grey DMGs within a weeks' time.

Other than that, you've got nothing to lose, since this could only benefit your shell.

Last edited by Monkeymook (Sep 2, 2012 2:35 am)

Barcelona city - Spain

Yes it works for clear plastics ;-)

UK, Leicester

Sorry to necro the thread, but I have a question; would using a lamp be an acceptable replacement to sunlight? It's just that I live in the UK, so time in which the sun is on display is few and far between, and it's also nearing winter, so there's likely to be even more rain.

Alpine wrote:

Sorry to necro the thread, but I have a question; would using a lamp be an acceptable replacement to sunlight? It's just that I live in the UK, so time in which the sun is on display is few and far between, and it's also nearing winter, so there's likely to be even more rain.

Maybe you could use an UV light? Something like one of those face-tanning things...

Minneapolis

You can use a UV lamp, but be aware that you need to WATCH the thing, come back every hour, because over exposure will mess your plastics up bad! I live in MN, and it's overcast and basically horrible for more than half the year, and I've done this on a winter's day when we don't get too much UV, and it's worked OK. You don't need bright overhead sun, just as long as it's not dark as the side of Mount Doom...